Sonic Electronix

Is this supposed to happen?

Guest jbinn

So im running 1500RMS to a PSI 18" 1600RMS woofer the box is 5^2ft @ 34hz

my question is , is the dustcap supposed to get decently hot (note: its realllly hot outside and the suns been on the dustcap) after like 10 minutes of tones and Psyph Slowed (20-35hz i believe?) I set the gains with a DMM and set it a few volts under to be sure of no clipping the sub hits perfect and is loud as hell but on a few occccasions I smelt something that coulda been glue/box or coil then I feel the cone and its really hot so I lowered the gain a notch and its noticably cooler but still gets decently hot is this normal?

It could be just the weather. I know my sub is really warm on hot days when I dont even use it, And its in my trunk. Do you remeber what it smelled like? Did it have a sweet soft smell to it? Or did it not smell good?

2003 rsx:Alpine CDE-102Fosgate P300-1Fosgate P1 6.5"s15" Re SRX

Well if its gettign HOT then your probley clippin them.But i mean if its just like warm then you should be okay its probley due to teh weather

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

Guest jbinn

It only gets hot on low tones... If I play some regular psyph it stays warm/cool when I play something slowed 34 and under it heats up a little above warm, not too hot to touch but deffinatly hot. I set the gains LOWER than specified for the voltage so I shouldnt be clipping a sub thats already underpowered. Define sweet smelling? I can say its something I didnt really think was good lol, I took the woofer out and I could smell it. The magnet on the woofer was too hot to touch.

I set it @ 34v and its supposed to be 38v... So i dont understand how I can be clipping anything the Audiopipe stays incredible cool and the gain is only like half of halfway.

It only gets hot on low tones... If I play some regular psyph it stays warm/cool when I play something slowed 34 and under it heats up a little above warm, not too hot to touch but deffinatly hot. I set the gains LOWER than specified for the voltage so I shouldnt be clipping a sub thats already underpowered. Define sweet smelling? I can say its something I didnt really think was good lol, I took the woofer out and I could smell it. The magnet on the woofer was too hot to touch.

I set it @ 34v and its supposed to be 38v... So i dont understand how I can be clipping anything the Audiopipe stays incredible cool and the gain is only like half of halfway.

Is that box big enough for it to get proper excursion = internal cooling works that way.

00' Nissan Xterra

Always under construction :]

HU: Pioneer DEH3100-UB

Mids & Highs: Kicker DS Component Set & Crescendo tweeters

Mids & Highs Amp: Rockford 150.2

Subwoofer: 2 DC Audio LV 4 18"s

Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics Brutus 2005d

you been hanging out with jeff and dustin with that green paint? its yellow so it has to be loud.

I wish my Audiopipe stayed cool... Mine gets hot as helllllllllll! but my sub stays cool lol

1997 Chevy Cheyenne Single Cab

Pioneer DEH-3200UB

Two sets of Orion 6.5" Components In Each Door

AudioQue HDC3 15"

^^^ Its all For Sale!!!!! http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/99546-lots-to-sale-good-prices/ ^^^ AQ2200D

Wow, such a flexy beast(see what i did there lol)

Guest jbinn

but for future reference please explain the difference between the sweet smell and the bad smell? and which ones worse and which one does what... the subwoofer is BRAND new and has only been pounded on this week so could it be glue on the woofer?

Ill try lol. If it smells sweet or pleasant its probably a bit of glue. If it sort of sticks out and smells dank it could be coil. But If its that new its probably glue. If your cone it getting hot though from just playing alone it could possibly be coil.

2003 rsx:Alpine CDE-102Fosgate P300-1Fosgate P1 6.5"s15" Re SRX

Guest jbinn

nah coils been good lately cone still getting rather hot but the small has gone away after it came a few times almost like the more i smelled it the less it happened if that makes any sense? I asked everyone today who smelt it and they said new woofers smelled like that and described it as "sweet" so I think im in the clear I just want to make sure cause this was a $450 subwoofer lol