Second Skin Audio

question about subwoofer load vs output

moetpoppin

This question is not a typical question about how to connect my subwoofers in a certain combination in order to get desired results.

My question has to deal with the output from wiring subwoofers in certain configurations.

Lets say subwoofer "X" is a 4 ohm DVC subwoofer able to handle 500 watts RMS. You have three options, wire the coils in parallel for a 2 ohm load, series for an 8 ohm load or a 2ch amp in mono running each voice coil at 4 ohms each.

Besides choosing a load option to match an amplifier, should there be any difference in theory between putting this subwoofer on an amp that puts out 500 watts RMS at a 2 ohm load, an amplifier that puts out 500 watts RMS at a 8 ohm load, or a 2 channel amplifier in mono pushing 250 RMS per channel at a 4 ohm load?

Let me know what you think!

Thanks

TY

TY

Moet poppin', hoe hoppin', aint no stoppin' B.I.G. poppa, I'm a bad boy

Party and Bullshit - The Notorious B.I.G.

Honest estimate on this truck when it's all done........... 172.3...........

Ehh.. U are aware of what 172.3 is, right?

yep.....:)

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

it doesnt matter what ohm load you use if every amp is puttin out the same power at each ohm load. it will be as loud at each ohm load with the same amount of power. usually you would get a 2 ohm stable amp and bridge it down to 2 ohms and be done with it. i believe its hard to find an amp to put out good power at 8 ohms so figure that option right out.

2015 silverado crew cab

nothing atm but soon...

cool thanks for the answers, its just always been a question coming up in my head. If I remember my old two channel only had one gain with the option to run both channels mono and playing the same thing almost as if it was perfect for running a DVC or two subs. My car actually has two 4 ohm DVCs for a 1 ohm load on my amp. However the hifonics have an block to hook up two speakers instead of running one wire pair to the block. This way I have both speakers hooked up as if they were in 2 ohm parallel and then hooked up to the amp which parallels the connection itself making it a 1 ohm load. Just always wondered if getting a second amp and hooking the speakers up 2 ohms to each would louder or not. In theory it shouldn't if they are getting the same power, but in real life you would never know until you actually try

thanks again

TY

TY

Moet poppin', hoe hoppin', aint no stoppin' B.I.G. poppa, I'm a bad boy

Party and Bullshit - The Notorious B.I.G.

Honest estimate on this truck when it's all done........... 172.3...........

Ehh.. U are aware of what 172.3 is, right?

yep.....:)

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

Archived