Sonic Electronix

Hey everyone,

First off, let me appoligize ahead of time, this has nothing to do with audio, but I figured this would be the best place to ask. Let me give you the run down on what I've got going. I've got an '86 S-10 Blazer that I'll be dropping a 383 into when this deployment's over. It's got a 350 now, but thats besides the point. Anyways, here's the question I have for you high amp drawing music lovers. I've got a Warn Winch rated at 18,000 lbs which, at full capasity, pulls approximatly 250amps. Here's the other kicker, it runs on a 24V system. Now my truck is currently running a normal 12V system, but I have plans to change that. I have found an alternator by Delco-Remy that is 24V and pushes 150amps. I want to run these in parallel so that I am pushing approx 300amps, more than enough to run the winch at full capasity plus the LED lights that I'll be running at the same time. Now, I know it can be done, my question is how. I've already got the bracketry planned out. Now I was reading on this other site things about using Diodes and all kinds of other things, something that I honestly know little about except that it only allows current to run one way. If someone could please draw me a picture on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone could gice some insite on how to also revert back to a 12V system to run my other accessories, that would be great too. Thank you for your time.

Andy

only thing i can think of is to run dual alternators like you want, but have seperate battery banks one for your winch, and the other for your audio accessories or whatever it may be, but i do know that there is a hardness that allows you to run the 24v batteries and still run 12v accessories...i've seen the drawing before.. can't remember where tho..

you cannot wire a 24v and a 12v alternator together...it just wont work (if it does, not well or at all)

talk to DC Power, Mechman, or Iraggi about 24v alternators. you can have the 24v be for the winch (you would also need 2 12v batteries ran in series for 24v) and have a 12v alternator for the car accessories

you cannot wire a 24v and a 12v alternator together...it just wont work (if it does, not well or at all)

talk to DC Power, Mechman, or Iraggi about 24v alternators. you can have the 24v be for the winch (you would also need 2 12v batteries ran in series for 24v) and have a 12v alternator for the car accessories

I can get a 24V to 12V converter like what we use on some of our military vehicles. I'm not running 2 different alternators, but 2 of the same, pushing 24V and 150amps a piece. I'm relocating the batteries to the back of the truck and they will be ran in series.

why not hit up DC and get a 300 24v alt and a regular alt for your regular stuff? DC also has the 390XPs which do over 400amps ....

seems like you want to do a bunch more work for no reason... why need to add the stepdown modules if you dont need 2?

1 200~ alt to run your system accessories, and the 300 for the winch with a external regulator...

Edited by Team_DC-Derrick

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

my warn pulls like 260amps and i have a 120 amp altenator with a duralast battery and i stay above 12v, rest at 14v as long as i keep the idle up on the truck :D 8000lb winch.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

why not hit up DC and get a 300 24v alt and a regular alt for your regular stuff? DC also has the 390XPs which do over 400amps ....

seems like you want to do a bunch more work for no reason... why need to add the stepdown modules if you dont need 2?

1 200~ alt to run your system accessories, and the 300 for the winch with a external regulator...

Who is DC? I searched and searched all over the net trying to find any 24V alt with more than 150, but that was the biggest i could find that is roughly simular in size and dimension to a 12V GM alternator. That is one of the problems that I am having. Having a small block V8 stuffed inside a tiny engine compartment doesn't leave much room for much of anything. I could easily get me a 300+ amp here, but I just have nowhere to put it. Thats why I would like to run parallel.