Sonic Electronix

Scott & His Guys @ Fi Are Tha Coolest

Guest dropthabeat.com

for some reason i keep breaking leads on my btl every couple of weeks, but we figured out a few problems that may have contributed to the issue, but the one main problem we both figured is the layout of my box in the trunk. basically, sub is toooo close to the trunk lid since it faces up. got bout 2.5" clearance tops between the box and the lid. so i told him i'm tired of wasting his time and breaking subs. so i've decided to step down to a 12" in a 2 cuft. box (loaded) tuned to 32hz. the 15 is just too big with the min. sized box. he didn't like the idea of me stepping down thinking i will get disappointed. so he's going to be designing a newer version of the btl he plans on releasing in the near future after testing, etc, i assume and i'm going to be his guniea pig. we're talkin deeper basket to house double spiders, stonger, longer, parabolic cones, etc. he want's to make sure i won't miss the 15 at all, he said when were done the 12 will handle my amp with no problem. scott & his crew are the nicest coolest bunch of dudes you'll meet. i've seen how their stuff is made and what care is taken for everything, i will NEVER buy another sub brand other than FI for my cars again. i would reccomend this to anyone. their one goal is your satisfaction, great people man! i'm glad to know them. it'll be a couple of weeks before he gets his stuff so i'll keep you updated.

I totally 100% agree with you bro, the guys over at FI are so chill. I ordered my Q on a thursday and they shipped it out that same day. When I got it in and bumping I sent Scott and email about how satisfied I was, and he said he was glad it arrived in good shape. I had 2 Audiobahn 12's before my 1 Fi 12 and hands down, the Q beats 10x louder than my 2 12's EVER did....I am so happy with it, it was probably the best 260 bucks I have ever spent. Thanks Scott and all the Fi crew...you guys fuckin own! I am now a loyal Fi customer, and like you said dropthabeat, I will never buy subs from any other company again.

12" fi q

rf t10001

naw mean

Guest dropthabeat.com

no the 15 fits, just not that well with the box the way it is now. the trunk in my eldorado isn't that deep which is the problem. i originally had the box picked out for a sedan deville. but i gave it to my dad for fun because he's always liked those old caddys. the box wouldve fit in there standing up and not on it's back like now. i could a custom box for the 15 but with the gain at 1/2 it's MORE THAN ENOUGH bass for me. when you can distort vision & voice that's the line for me. i had a t2 fosgate in the same box (2cuft.) and it hit hard as hell too. i can't wait to see what a btl will do, especially this one.

you breaking your leads has what to do with clearance issues?

if the sub is hitting any surface or doesn't have enough clearance between surfaces it causes issues, the downforce coming back off of the lid even changes your internal resistance.

Also speaker leads break because a woofer is being underpowered ... what kinda amp is on that sub?

I've heard of subs burnin up because of wrong box size (not enough room for it to vent to cool down) but never the speaker leads breaking because of it.

Guest MegaloManiac

hmm, should you really be posting this? I know Scott hates releasing info about his new builds. people expect too much from him on deadline dates

Guest dropthabeat.com

i'm sure scott doesn't care, otherwise he probably would've told me to keep it on the hush. he said he's just looking to widen his options for the btl. my set up is listed, got a t20001bd amp, not under powered. my coils are always fine, they look brand new still, just breaking leads. i'm always the "hmmm, that's weird" guy even in with my hot rod the same thing, "never seen that before". i'm tellin ya. we went through and checked the internal resistance and checked the box tuning etc. i've made changes to my set up, deck frequencies, sonic filters, boost freq., and it all seems to be helping. i've recently changed my center freq. on my deck from 60 to 80hz on alpines q-bass they call it. when you emphasize a wide range or narrow it down. night & day differnce in sound. i've may have had too much "dirty power" going to the sub. between the q-bass, external 18db boost on amp, and sub output level at max, might have been boosting the low frequencies too much. that's why i'm going with a 12 in order to fire into the cab. my homeboy bassinyoface has the same set up, box, amp, sub, in his f150 extended cab backseat. we looked at his the other day, he has his sub 2 months before i did, and his looked brand new!! we couldn't believe it. mine has wore through the spider onto the next one, it looks more beat up than his, so i'm putting my $$$ on the lid being the issue.