Second Skin Audio

Horn > all?

hello fellow users, hope you don't mind my dumb question of the day but ive read that a properly built horn enclosure will be your best bet over lets say, bandpass, reflex and sealed among others??? how much more efficient are these enclosures than the others i mentioned?

Yo despues que las asomo... papa tu sabes como es que somos esto es flores pa los muertos y pa' mis enemigos plomo la 9 nunca se turba cuando bajan por la curva no es que yo no salga es que ustedes no entran pa la urba de humacao - Cosculluela.

in theory they can be louder, but really to do it properly with sub woofer frequencies would require a hirn many time larger than even a large van.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

so then there's no real horn that can fit in a car or mostly any other vehicle?

Yo despues que las asomo... papa tu sabes como es que somos esto es flores pa los muertos y pa' mis enemigos plomo la 9 nunca se turba cuando bajan por la curva no es que yo no salga es que ustedes no entran pa la urba de humacao - Cosculluela.

^

Yeah Horn design is more based on larger rooms, as Ed said- hence the PA systems, DJ horns, etc

Transmission line boxes do work great in cars from small, to large- They also do take up a lot of room, and are based on the same concept, quarter-wave, and impedance matching, matching up with the subwoofers natural resonance, etc

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

well if thats true then how do peter's designs work? is it a variation of a small horn or something?

Who's Peter and what's his design?

Even if a proper horn can fit in a car, Horns dont like the openings to be choked off by the car's relatively small cabin. They like to fire into large openings like the outdoors or concert halls. They are very long throw type designs.

One horn I was working on was almost 20 dB louder with the van doors open then with them closed.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Horns do work, I build them from time to time myself, I stick to tlines just because they are more predictable, and have a smaller foot print

I do believe his designs are more of a horn flared port, on some of his designs anyways. I have one saved on my computer, and that is how THAT particular design is

so, if you have a 12" in a 1 - 2cf box, you can make a long port that uses the whole horn idea as well, and the port will be smaller coupled with the air space than an actual dedicated horn/folded horn

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

covering%20the%20top21.jpg

horn subs FTMFW!

ty

TY

Moet poppin', hoe hoppin', aint no stoppin' B.I.G. poppa, I'm a bad boy

Party and Bullshit - The Notorious B.I.G.

Honest estimate on this truck when it's all done........... 172.3...........

Ehh.. U are aware of what 172.3 is, right?

yep.....:)

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

@HHR Ed i was referring to Pete owner of PWK Designs/Acoustic Engineer and all that other stuff lol

@forevrbumpin so he's just practically selling a name? and they're not real horn enclosures?

covering%20the%20top21.jpg

horn subs FTMFW!

ty

16 - 18" subs underfloor horn FTW. I love that design, everything about it

Was supposed to play down to 5hz really loud, its on the Royal Device website

sundown.jpg