Sonic Electronix

Is my system draining the battery?

I recently got a sub and amp installed in my 94 toyota corolla. The amp makes 240 watts rms and I have a clarion head unit speakers but the speakers r running off the head unit. I turned my car on after the dentist today and the battery light is on and I have no power steering.

Do you think my system is draining the battery? I only listen to it when the car is fully on and driving. And I don't slam my subs. I listen at medium volume and my sub is tuned at a decently loud level at the zero on my headunit. I usually set it at -3 on the bass setting. What could this be?

check the amps and make sure they turn off when you shut down the car.

make sure you dont have a short somewhere, it could cause a fire.

double check wiring behind the HU. some wire harnesses with the door chime will drain the battery just because they were poorly made.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

i also have a 94 corolla and i was drawing damn near 1000+ rms on the stock alternator and it was fine. chances are its the battery or the terminals arent clamped down enough (aka loose)

check the amps and make sure they turn off when you shut down the car.

make sure you dont have a short somewhere, it could cause a fire.

double check wiring behind the HU. some wire harnesses with the door chime will drain the battery just because they were poorly made.

how do I check for shorts? As in fuses?

And i dont think I have a dorm chime? at least I dont think, unless you mean the "chime noise" that goes off if the door is open, but thats only if I leave my keys in the ignition when I open the door but I usually have them out by then.

i vote bad bat or faulty alt. because kranny is not kidding u he got a big system on a stock alt he droped but never to batt. and i pull more then u and i have a new alt... but i would have your batt checked

1) lookj to left

2) NOTICE BLKUE

3) ME > Y9OU

4) that is all

I would assume it's the battery or the alternator. Start the car with a volt meter on the battery and look to make sure you see a rise in voltage (13+ volts). If you don't, turn up your stereo and within a minute or so you should see the voltage rise, if you don't your alt isn't charging. This could be from a dead alt, messed up wiring (loose wire on the alt or in the alt harness), etc. If you do see it charge then take your car to an Auto Zone and have the battery tested.

Your stereo shouldn't be completely killing the battery. Could it? Yes... But only if something else is wrong (as others have brought brought up). For now I would stick to the obvious, battery or alternator (that is unless you just put your stereo in a day ago or something).

Edited by UnderLoK

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

I would assume it's the battery or the alternator. Start the car with a volt meter on the battery and look to make sure you see a rise in voltage (13+ volts). If you don't, turn up your stereo and within a minute or so you should see the voltage rise, if you don't your alt isn't charging. This could be from a dead alt, messed up wiring (loose wire on the alt or in the alt harness), etc. If you do see it charge then take your car to an Auto Zone and have the battery tested.

Your stereo shouldn't be completely killing the battery. Could it? Yes... But only if something else is wrong (as others have brought brought up). For now I would stick to the obvious, battery or alternator (that is unless you just put your stereo in a day ago or something).

well kinda, I've had the stereo in for less than a week. Or at least the sub and the amp.