Second Skin Audio

Circle Enclosure Ideas

P4killer_

So, its been awhile, i finished my rebuild then my cars transmission died and since then, I havent been involved in car audio much :(

Idk what im gonna do, likely sell everything for now, but.. my mind is one that is always turning, maybe sometimes over something stupid but still..

especially about car audio, im always thinkin of stuff, and what Ive been stuck on recently, is designing something different when ever I rebuild/ get a new car and i think im going to do something fiberglass, and probably something very round.

Now before anyone says Sonotube, yes that might work for a single sub, but im thinking EggShell ish for 2+ subs.

Round enclosure should be more efficient, and inherently stronger than a square design especially when it comes to flex/ loss of spl due to vibration etc.

now all of my ideas here arent exact and my knowledge is more general than anything else so please correct me if im off the path at any point.

so here goes the quick paint sketch ups- please excuse the rough drafts and by no means are they exact, proportional or correct.

47422_492979822795_527012795_7036534_3024399_n.jpg

So here is a basic sonotube single sub setup. my question here is how to port? The first image of port center rear and sub forward is how its normally done, but this is a more of a home audio style, and i would prefer sub and port in the same direction, as seen in the other image, the port is obviously PVC. The second option is a longer port which might have to be a smaller dia. due to the length.. so a long small port, = port noise?

Also the reason I dont want to mount the port on the front baffle off center with the sub is because of this:

Having the port centered ie:. equidistant from any point of the circle enclosure means the port should resonate the same at any freq. meaning the port should be very loud at said resonant freq and fall off a lil at other freq.

Having the port offset, should mean that all the distances are now different and causes the port to resonate differently at dif freq, meaning the enclosure should play more flat across all freq, rather than louder at a specific freq.

The real world diffrences may be trivial but the above should be correct in theory.

Next:

41211_492979827795_527012795_7036535_3361828_n.jpg

Same idea here except, multiple subs center port, this time mounting center on the front baffle shouldnt be an issue, but getting to the eggshell shape may prove to be more difficult than glassing some sonotube.

if i wanted to do something like this..

anyone have any ideas?

sorry for the mega long post, and if this bores you, oh well, i would just like to try new things and see what #'s i can get out of it just for curiousity sake

P4Killer

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Hmmm, this is interesting. Alls I know is that with a circle enclosure there will be no moarrr need for 45's lolz :santa:

(2) Kicker L5 12's

Alpine IDA-X305 HU

Dual Optimas

Big three

Kenwood EQ

RF Components

Hifonics Brutus 1K (Subs)

Alpine MRP 250 (Mids/Highs)

Lots o' sound deadening

lmao wow i thought i got an actual reply rather than some cool story bro, trash post, but to help better visual what im saying, i took 30 min and sketched it, again measurements arent exact niether is the spacing etc etc

46347_493826307795_527012795_7059568_5132861_n.jpg

47684_493826317795_527012795_7059569_2650425_n.jpg

Its alot of glass work, shoot alot of work no matter what way you slice it, but with some all thread and a solid base not to mention several layers of glass things should be fine.

Ideally id like to rn 2 15's off 3k lemme know whatcha think

P4killer

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

it looks like a great design, but i don't see that being nearly strong enough to handle 3k with 2 15's. Unless you plan on like 50 layers of glass, or some sort of internal bracing i see that box being cracked to shreads the first song. How are you figuring the cubic area of that enclosure?

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

I can figure a base volume and the rest is cylinder volume calcs, roughly of course either that or packing peanuts :P i have a much simpler version to accomplish what im looking to do, actually ill more than likely do that instead of this. but this would work fine. you use felt and stables to cover the enclosure and simply glass over that, yea 5+ layers of glass would be needed and allthread would be a must but if done right, it would hold. It would just be alot of work to see how an idea turns out.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Archived