Sonic Electronix

Hey guys I've been doing a lot of searching and reading threads about new subs giving off a smell. Some say that its the smell of ca glue or whatever burning off and some say its the smell of coil heating up. What exactly is the difference between the smells? I don't really know how hot coils smell like but I also don't know the smell of glue burning off. Is the smell of the glue or coils strong? Is there something you guys could compare it to who do know? I'm trying to figure out why mine smell.

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

Deck: Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT

Mids: 4 Selenium 6W4P's

Highs: 2 AQ Tweeter's + 2 Crescendo Tweeters + 2 Power Acoustik NX-5 Bullet Tweeters

Highs Amp: MB Quart Onyx 4.125

Bass: 2 18" DC Audio XL's <-- Soon to be 8 Sundown SA-12's

Box: 13.37 Cu Ft @ 35 Hz with 3 8" sonotubes

Bass amps: Crescendo BC3500 @ .5 ohms (2nd one coming soon)

325a Singer Alt! 375a at 16+ volts!

2 XS Power D1400's

www.youtube.com/user/phukudmss

The glue will sometimes smell sweet. Fiberglass resin can give off a smell too if you used that in your box. Coils getting hot will smell like shit. Just a bad distinct smell.

How did you set your gains?

Perfectly said......

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Just saw you have XL's. Mine took about 3-4 days for the glue/resin(resin smell stayed with mine a bit longer) smell to be gone. If it smells bad it could be the coils. If you haven't already set your gains with an o-scope and make sure you aren't clipping the subs.

SMD Super Seller/Buyer

Audison----Hertz----Rainbow

The glue will sometimes smell sweet. Fiberglass resin can give off a smell too if you used that in your box. Coils getting hot will smell like shit. Just a bad distinct smell.

How did you set your gains?

Just saw you have XL's. Mine took about 3-4 days for the glue/resin(resin smell stayed with mine a bit longer) smell to be gone. If it smells bad it could be the coils. If you haven't already set your gains with an o-scope and make sure you aren't clipping the subs.

Hmm I see. I used two different tones just to experiment which were 50hz @ -10db and the one from Decaf's music thread which is 45hz @ -4.6db. The first few times I set it I did it by ear but after I started noticing I used a DMM. I've even slowly turned the gain up from all the way down while a song was playing with consistent bass until it stopped getting any louder and before the bass started sounding nasty. I ordered an o-scope that should be here Friday just so I can make sure if its my amps clipping or not.

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

Highs: 2 AQ Tweeter's + 2 Crescendo Tweeters + 2 Power Acoustik NX-5 Bullet Tweeters

2 XS Power D1400's

I would use the tone from Decaf's section, just because that's all that gets played in my truck is his music.

First make sure your H/U is sending a clean signal. Use the scope on it first. Then with the same tone scope out your amp with the H/U on the volume you determined when scoping it earlier.

NO bass boost. lol

SMD Super Seller/Buyer

Haha yeah I love lows too.

I think my head unit starts clipping at like 58+ or something out of 62 but I set all my gains at 45. I've had it like that for 3 years now but once I get the o-scope in I will reset everything for sure. Maybe it's because I'm running more than twice the power now so it's more sensitive? I dunno I just can't wait till Friday I wanna do it now lol.

Yup I agree no bass boost. Any bass boost or anything for it is at 0 lol. I set the gain with my sub level on 0 but sometimes turn it down to -1.

Btw does your sub ever get warm running off that amp?

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

2 XS Power D1400's

Gets Warm from the weather (95+). When it's not hot as hell, though, it doesn't get hot at all. Stays room temperature or whatever the temp is in my truck. If your sub is getting hot from that amp, it's likely going to be some clipping.

What is your voltage like?

SMD Super Seller/Buyer

It drops to about what it looks like to be in the 13's somewhere looking at the volt meter in my cluster. I have to double check with my DMM.

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

2 XS Power D1400's

Archived