Sonic Electronix

When the glue is burning off do the subs get warm? Mine have gotten quite warm sometimes but I did not see today after I reset it today.

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

Deck: Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT

Mids: 4 Selenium 6W4P's

Highs: 2 AQ Tweeter's + 2 Crescendo Tweeters + 2 Power Acoustik NX-5 Bullet Tweeters

Highs Amp: MB Quart Onyx 4.125

Bass: 2 18" DC Audio XL's <-- Soon to be 8 Sundown SA-12's

Box: 13.37 Cu Ft @ 35 Hz with 3 8" sonotubes

Bass amps: Crescendo BC3500 @ .5 ohms (2nd one coming soon)

325a Singer Alt! 375a at 16+ volts!

2 XS Power D1400's

www.youtube.com/user/phukudmss

Hey guys I've been doing a lot of searching and reading threads about new subs giving off a smell. Some say that its the smell of ca glue or whatever burning off and some say its the smell of coil heating up. What exactly is the difference between the smells? I don't really know how hot coils smell like but I also don't know the smell of glue burning off. Is the smell of the glue or coils strong? Is there something you guys could compare it to who do know? I'm trying to figure out why mine smell.

i would check your wiring if you hooked up coil wrong it will cause it just to heat up and not play properly.. i had the same issue i checked everything, just double check your pos and neg on the subs to amp!!

2-10 inch hx2's rfd2110 getting close to 1200 watts rms

PWK enclosure-rear loading folded horn

1-mtx 81000d

1-SAX-100.4

1-alpine h/u

1-set of cdt's euro components

1-set of alpine type's

i would check your wiring if you hooked up coil wrong it will cause it just to heat up and not play properly.. i had the same issue i checked everything, just double check your pos and neg on the subs to amp!!

I could check again but I wired them to 2 ohms and verified it with a DMM.

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

Highs: 2 AQ Tweeter's + 2 Crescendo Tweeters + 2 Power Acoustik NX-5 Bullet Tweeters

2 XS Power D1400's

I could check again but I wired them to 2 ohms and verified it with a DMM.

hahah check again, cause they will still show a 2 ohm load , My did at least dmm at 2 ohms too. So i though i couldn't have wired it wrong.It still didn't sound right, i checked and it was wired wrong, live and learn!

1-mtx 81000d

1-SAX-100.4

1-alpine h/u

1-set of alpine type's

hahah check again, cause they will still show a 2 ohm load , My did at least dmm at 2 ohms too. So i though i couldn't have wired it wrong.It still didn't sound right, i checked and it was wired wrong, live and learn!

No it's ok. I found the problem. One of the subs coil was bad :(. I'm guessing that was the reason why my amp(s) went into protect from day one and why the subs got so hot and stinky really really quick even with properly set gains. I already talked to Rusty about it and I just shipped the sub today and hes gonna check it out and rebuild it. I guess the bad coil was creating even more resistance or something and threw the ohm load off making the amps protect. Luckily the other sub is still ok but I unhooked everything until I get the other sub back. Now I'm just rocking mids and highs lol. Oh well, shit happens.. First time I've ever dealt with a defective sub so I didn't know what to expect.

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

2 XS Power D1400's

If you start to smell burnt coils, you play the $#!+ out of them and ain't loud enough for you. So you should get a bigger system. :drink40:

But I never even got up to that point and I know these XL's will get loud lol. They were barely moving. But I have big plans for next year :)

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

2 XS Power D1400's

No it's ok. I found the problem. One of the subs coil was bad :(. I'm guessing that was the reason why my amp(s) went into protect from day one and why the subs got so hot and stinky really really quick even with properly set gains. I already talked to Rusty about it and I just shipped the sub today and hes gonna check it out and rebuild it. I guess the bad coil was creating even more resistance or something and threw the ohm load off making the amps protect. Luckily the other sub is still ok but I unhooked everything until I get the other sub back. Now I'm just rocking mids and highs lol. Oh well, shit happens.. First time I've ever dealt with a defective sub so I didn't know what to expect.

Well least you found the problem, to bad i wasnt right..hahah well that is nice of him, i hate when shit happenss!!

1-mtx 81000d

1-SAX-100.4

1-alpine h/u

1-set of alpine type's

Yeah man DC FTW! He seemed like a real cool guy when I was on the phone with him. I just don't know if I have to pay to fix it or not but either way I'm fine with it. I just want my bass back lol

2004 Chevy Trailblazer:

2 XS Power D1400's

Yeah man DC FTW! He seemed like a real cool guy when I was on the phone with him. I just don't know if I have to pay to fix it or not but either way I'm fine with it. I just want my bass back lol

yeah i wouldn't care either, im addicted to bass!

1-mtx 81000d

1-SAX-100.4

1-alpine h/u

1-set of alpine type's

Archived