Sonic Electronix

Amp keeps blowing fuses?

No. If you know you're staying above 11 and 12 it shouldn't be low voltage causing the issue. Take out the cap. I finally got my brother to take his pos cap out of his truck and he actually gained power like I told him 3 months ago. Lol

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Your proble. Is too small of fuses. 2 20 amp fuses will only allow 480 watts rms at 12 volts. If your amp is truly 350 watts rms per chanlle, you need fuses to alow 700 watts rms of current flow so two 40 amp fuses will do. You always want some headroom with the fuses so you don't always burn them. It's simple math amps x volts= wattage

Im only running my amp at 115 watts @ 4 ohms x 2 channels ..

So my amp cant be pulling more than 30 amps even ..

thats why i said i replaced it with (2) 30 amp fuses, and they still are blowing ..

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T

No. If you know you're staying above 11 and 12 it shouldn't be low voltage causing the issue. Take out the cap. I finally got my brother to take his pos cap out of his truck and he actually gained power like I told him 3 months ago. Lol

By using too small of wire your hurting it. It's trying to eat more power then the wire will feed.

Okay i think ill check the voltage, then ill remove the cap ..

Im gonna replace the wire with some 4ga ..

I really hope i can figure this out, i need my Rear Speakers lol

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T

Voltge drop can cause the issue. I can't say it is your wire but it's a good starting place. Does it blow if listening and low to medium volumes or only at high volume for 10-15 minutes? Positive your gains aren't too high?

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Im only running my amp at 115 watts @ 4 ohms x 2 channels ..

So my amp cant be pulling more than 30 amps even ..

thats why i said i replaced it with (2) 30 amp fuses, and they still are blowing ..

Hmm that's weird. Have you checked for shorts? If your runing only that much power and blowing fuses maby the amps bad. Make sure you have good voltage at the amp. If it's anything below 12.5 at idle that may be your problem. And check all your connections. You could probably get some help from the pros on the ssa forum or dsbs forum. Tons of knoledgeable people there

Voltge drop can cause the issue. I can't say it is your wire but it's a good starting place. Does it blow if listening and low to medium volumes or only at high volume for 10-15 minutes? Positive your gains aren't too high?

It blows after 15min at like 50% volume or 60% ..

I wouldnt be able to tell you if it blows at low volume, havent played it at low volume for that long

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T

Hmm that's weird. Have you checked for shorts? If your runing only that much power and blowing fuses maby the amps bad. Make sure you have good voltage at the amp. If it's anything below 12.5 at idle that may be your problem. And check all your connections. You could probably get some help from the pros on the ssa forum or dsbs forum. Tons of knoledgeable people there

Yeah but why would the amp work for a short period of time, then short out?

Why wouldnt it just be bad in general ..

maybe the amp has a power consumption problem? is that what your suggesting?

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T

Yeah but why would the amp work for a short period of time, then short out?

Why wouldnt it just be bad in general ..

maybe the amp has a power consumption problem? is that what your suggesting?

Over power consumtion could be a potential problem like if the amp is 50% effecient it pulls 1000 watts but only puts out 500. Normaly an AMps efficencency will be somewhere in the 75-85% range for power consumption. No amp is 100% effecient so you may want to look up its rating. And I have to ask, what is the voltage at the amp at the level where you are blowing fuses? You could just have bad wireing. Iv had some 8 gauge that was actualy smaller than the 12 gauge speaker wire I was runing. Just make sure the wire isn't 90% plastic 10% copper.

Over power consumtion could be a potential problem like if the amp is 50% effecient it pulls 1000 watts but only puts out 500. Normaly an AMps efficencency will be somewhere in the 75-85% range for power consumption. No amp is 100% effecient so you may want to look up its rating. And I have to ask, what is the voltage at the amp at the level where you are blowing fuses? You could just have bad wireing. Iv had some 8 gauge that was actualy smaller than the 12 gauge speaker wire I was runing. Just make sure the wire isn't 90% plastic 10% copper.

Well i cant find my amps efficiency rating ..

And the wire probably isnt pure 10ga, so ill upgrade to some 4ga ..

Ill have to check the voltage tomorow morning, but i know its atleast like 12.5 at idle, unless something changed somewhere

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T

Archived