Sundown Audio

Planet Audio AC4000.1D

95Altima

30 members have voted

1. 1. Is The Planet Audio AC4000.1D Amp Any Good?

• Yes
    • No

Just ordered one of thoses amps to toy with. Gonna try it hooked to my 13w7 and see how it does compared to my JL 1000/1. I have a feeling it's not even gonna be close. As a matter of fact, I'm kinda scared that it may not be clean power and I may damage my sub. Gonna use multimeter to set the gain to my desired wattage. I know this is an old post, but figured I'd pipe in since I just ordered one if these amps. This amp will probably go in my sons vehicle hooked to 4 12" Rockford subs. Should satisfy him...for now.

Just ordered one of thoses amps to toy with. Gonna try it hooked to my 13w7 and see how it does compared to my JL 1000/1. I have a feeling it's not even gonna be close. As a matter of fact, I'm kinda scared that it may not be clean power and I may damage my sub. Gonna use multimeter to set the gain to my desired wattage. I know this is an old post, but figured I'd pipe in since I just ordered one if these amps. This amp will probably go in my sons vehicle hooked to 4 12" Rockford subs. Should satisfy him...for now.

0 votes for yes it's a good amp and 16 for no it's a bad amp and you ordered it anyway? You're scared it will damage your sub but you are gonna hook it up anyway? You are gonna set gains with a multi meter?.........

and in the end hook it to 4 RF subs....

:o

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

0 votes for yes it's a good amp and 16 for no it's a bad amp and you ordered it anyway? You're scared it will damage your sub but you are gonna hook it up anyway? You are gonna set gains with a multi meter?.........

and in the end hook it to 4 RF subs....

:o

Yeah. Got it for $90 new. Hard to pass it up for that price. And yeah, gonna at least try it out. And yeah, I have 4 old school RF 12" subs that I am not using for anything. My 18 yr old son is going to buy his first car soon, and it's looking like he wants an SUV, so yeah, I will put the 4 RF subs in his vehicle and use this amp for them. Watched a video where they amp dyno'd this thing and it did put out 1700 Watts rms at one ohm and 13.65 volts.

And yes, set the gain on the amp using a multimeter and a 40hz test tone at 0db. Figure out my ohm load and desired wattage, then you can figure out how many A/C volts should be coming out of the speaker output while playing the test tone at 75%-85% volume on your head unit. This isn't as good as an oscilloscope, but it's way more accurate than doing it by ear. At least I can make sure I'm not overpowering the subs and gonna blow them.

• 10 months later...

I'd like to say that the "AC" Series, and the "Big Bang III" are two completely different animals!!! I'm satisfied with my 4000.1!!!!!!! The Anarchy and Apocalypse Series Amps, Unfortunately, don't do anywhere near the watts that they say on the chassis-stamp!!! But you get what you pay for, though!!! The BB3 Series 2500.1 and the 4000.1 cost twice as much as their "lower-series" cousins!!! And Throw out close to what's on the chassis-stamp!!! I beg SMD to test the other, upper series amp(s), and they will find that they hit darn-near-twice as harder and cleaner!!!!! I plan to bang out 2-18's with 2 big bang 4000.1's strapped!!!

Signed,

A Satisfied Customer

(With a second BB3-4000.1D on order!!!)

if you look around you can find cheap stuff that actually is not flea market quality .

the phantom p1000.1 amp from ppi was tested and it does better than rated power on every test .

dynamicaly it pushed 1600 watts which is all those boss type 5000.1 amps really do in a best case .

i bought a super cheap massive audio summo6.5" woofer like 57 bucks i guarantee you it will sound just as loud if not louder than those sound around. bargain 10" subwoofers that have like 6mm xmax and blow a coil with 200 watts .

soundstream has some cheap stuff different models and such some of it looks very cheap and some of it looks to be decent stuff.

i still dont get how thay can try and sell a 6000 d amp that says 2500 rms then they sell a 2000 watt class d amp of a higher or differnt line and it makes more power , but still folks have to have that damn fake 6000 watts painted on the outside...lol

i was watching dyno vids after reading this and I saw one that AC3000.1D did just over 400watts @ 1 ohm using the AMM1 and the AC5000.1D did just over 1300watts @ 1ohm on the AD1 "1700watts dynamic run" .... where would the AC4000.1D fall between this.... I cant see it being over 800watts @1 ohm.... I know the AC3000.1D could do slightly more with the AD1 but still.... who buys these amps?

Please read...

Hi... Thanks for your response, Sir... I just would like to get out there that the AC Series Amplifiers are the "Anarchy-Series" and the AP Series is the "Apocalypse Series" And, "Yes" You're right those two series of amps don't perform well... But, if you research this please, and not just fall for what you see in that SMD Video as "Biblical-Testament", You will find that the BB2 (old-school-models) and the bb3 (Big Bang III Series), are just hard hitting better quality built amps than the "Apocalypse" and "Anarchy-Series" that were tested by SMD!!! Just like the "Prime-Series" Fosgate don't hit no where near if compared to the same wattage on the upper series "Power and Punch" Amplifiers... I'm just saying that not all Planet Amplifiers are bad... I hate the fact that a-lot of folk got-got because of what they read on the shroud or chassis-stamp!!! I'm saying that the Big Bang Series 3 (BB3) Amps hit, and the lower series, maybe not as hard of a hit... But and also you have to look at the fuses and the power connections to truly tell what an amp can do!!! I'm just saying... My BB3 came with a 0-Gage Connection Post, and a 250 Amp Fuse Block in the box... That amp will do every bit of 2800 watts or better just based on the fuse rating!!! I also had it hooked up on 4-1000 watt 12's and it beat those 12's really hard!!! It is not the same animal as the Anarchy or the Apocalypse!!! That video you speak of is pretty damming... But it isn't the amp I have that is on the SMD test bench!!! I wish SMD would test my amp and not "Junking" the whole Planet Line-up for just for those two series... I say that that's bad marketing on Planet's part, but from another perspective, it probably sold a lot of units to those folk that just believe what the tattoo says, and not the force behind the arm its on!!! Do your research, Sir...

LMAO 24 - 0

old thread. keep arguing......

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

well on that note.... I have a CX3500D wired 2 ohm off 2 12" kicker comps in a very large ported box... 2.25cuft each tuned to 33hz and boy did it knock... people all the way down my block could hear me coming....I retired this system and for anyone that likes the AC4000 you will really like the CX3500!!!!! $2,000.00 right now.... you get what you pay for!!!!! LOL

• 1 year later...

So, years ago, I purchased 2 PX15D (dual 4 ohm voice coils), they aren't listed on their website any more. I also picked up a AC4000.1D.  I had the set up for well over a year at 1 ohm. It pounded pretty hard, and sounded pretty damn good tbh.  I had the subs in boxes with 1 cu/ft, about half their rated spec.  Kept the bass tight..  But note, everything is in past tense.  I got a different car and transplanted everything to it.  I noticed that the gain was set pretty low when I moved cars, so I cranked it up.  I adjusted everything so it wasn't clipping or anything bad.  It was f'n loud.  At the higher volume, it was almost painful to be in the back seat.....

Then the day came that everything stopped.  Rolling around with a friend, and she's playing some of that stuff that kills your soul (katy perry, ketchup, lady gaga, etc)... and it killed my sub.  I do admit, I didn't follow directions.  The manual clearly stated that in 1 ohm stable, a cooling fan is needed.  The amp was also not getting any air.... Anyways, I laid the back seat down, and the amp nearly burnt my hand.  It was toasted.  I pushed each sub, they where toasted.  I took subs out and ripped them apart (literally).  The voice coils were burnt, they where crispy black. In 1 fail swoop, the amp and 2 subs died.  The set up: $280 out of pocket.

Afterwards, I admitted my fault, and bought another 4000.1D amp, in hopes I could repair the other having a good reference model.  I also grabbed their AX2500.1M amplifier.  I've got this installed now.  It also sounds amazing with plenty of settings.  When I compare it to the 600W Sony Xplod that puts out 55W at 4 ohms per channel, this is maybe 25% louder. My 600w Sony xplod I bought in 2006 from walmart is still playing today.  That thing is a trooper.

Now for some numbers.

Using an analog clamp on meter, I was pulling 105 amps though my 0 gauge power wires for both amps.  My 600W 4 channel Sony Xplod pulled 25 amps alone, this leaves this at 80 amps it was taking. I've got a red top battery powering everything, no caps. below are some theoretical numbers from my discovery

PA 4000.1D at 80 amps and guessing the voltage and expecting an 80% efficiency with a 1 ohm load

13.5 volts * 80 amps * 80% efficiency = 864 watts

12.6 volts * 80 amps * 80% efficiency = 806 watts

10.5 volts * 80 amps * 80% efficiency = 672 watts

Sony Xplod 600W 4 channel book says 50 watts per channel at 4 ohm. The voltage change is assuming your voltage drops on these.

13.5 volts * 25 amps * 60% efficiency / 4 channels = 67.5 watts per channel

12.6 volts * 25 amps * 60% efficiency / 4 channels = 47 watts per channel

10.5 volts * 25 amps * 60% efficiency / 4 channels = 39 watts per channel

Long story short - If brushed Aluminum is your thing - these are beautiful.  But they don't have any type of protection and are not worth it.  watt for watt, they are about the same cost as a name brand with real numbers.

I'm almost certain that the 4000w listed as peak power is how many watts are needed to melt the aluminum housing with an arc welder LOL

Archived