HU Problems-Turns off and on at high volume

CjM420

Okay i have 2 RF p2d412's in the factory RF ported enclosure powering them is a 600 watt lightning audio amp bridged at 4 ohms. I listen to my music with the volume around 20-35 on a daily basis but if i turn it up past about 24 my HU will cut off and come back on real quick for some reason. Is this caused by a voltage drop and my amp or HU is clipping? I need some professional input on whats going on and a solution to my problem would be nice. So if anybody can help i would appreciate it.

Its a kenwood kdc-mp142 its pre amp is rated at 2v. Im thinking my problem is the voltage drop because my lights dim horribly and all that so im gonna try the big 3 to see if that solves the problem, if not i may have to get a capacitor temporarily til i can afford a new alt. But i dont think its anything to do with wires cause it happens only if i turn it up past 25 thats why i suspect the voltage drop being the problem. When my subs hit really loud bass lines it sucks too much power from the battery/alt and causes the voltage to drop dramatically considering this is in a 1992 volkswagen jetta with a stock alt.

Its a kenwood kdc-mp142 its pre amp is rated at 2v. Im thinking my problem is the voltage drop because my lights dim horribly and all that so im gonna try the big 3 to see if that solves the problem, if not i may have to get a capacitor temporarily til i can afford a new alt. But i dont think its anything to do with wires cause it happens only if i turn it up past 25 thats why i suspect the voltage drop being the problem. When my subs hit really loud bass lines it sucks too much power from the battery/alt and causes the voltage to drop dramatically considering this is in a 1992 volkswagen jetta with a stock alt.

is it a detachable face? sometime when things start vibrating, the contacts will lose connection briefly and cause this problem.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

I had kinda the same problem with a kenwood HU also, at loud volume the screen went black and the volume knob wasn`t very responsive, sometimes it turned itself up and that was a bit scary, lol ;) But switched it back to the alpine 9887 and everything was good again :)

Proud member of SMD

My build log

2 DDZ9518

2 DynaBel BF 8501

2 GZ Neo 8"s

154.5@38hz with 2 DD Z9518`s

145.5@40hz with 2 DD 1508`s

My youtube vids

One other suggestion is that if you have more speakers than the head unit can handle and at a lower ohm load it will also happen. Most after market head units have 4 channels to 4 separate speakers, if you have more than one speaker at the same channel then you've altered the ohm load and the head unit doesn't like that which is why it may be cutting out.

An Audio Technix 18" Strato on a Kicker KX120.2

My Youtube Bass Vids

Updates When Possible...

I've bought from JBurt09, OrionStang, bcpballer64, LoudNLow931, audioman21, and CJ18 from here (as refs)

7j2.png

I had the same problem with a Panasonic. Turned out the connector between the faceplate and HU was dirty. Maybe clean it with a Qtip and some alcohol??

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

In 3 out of 5 cases I've encountered this it ended up being bad ground... you turn it up runs fine you get to say volume 30 BAM deck kicks off then back on when you turn it down... I dont care how curtain you are, redo the ground make sure its grounded well.. Also try the qtip on the faceplate method, also start your car rev it at 1800-2800rpms until voltage is solid then turn it up if it still does it, its not voltage drop.

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200