Sundown Audio

zapco 750.2 getting warm!

AA98hoe

I have my zapco 750 wired up to my highs at 1.9 the dmm says. and yesterday it was warm out and it cut out on me like 3 times. it has an internal fan and i know its working cause i can hear it. but the left side of it gets hot to the touch. It sounds awesome when its playing, but i dont want it cutting out on me at the show next weekend. has anyone had this problem? is it normal? i could change it out and run 2 amps on my pods, i just want to run 1 though.

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Likely...It's getting too hot and the internal thermal protection is kicking on, in turn powering the amp off. Amps can reach 150-190 degrees Farenheit and still stay on. So for it to go into protect, it would probably take a combination of heat and slight to moderate clipping.

Are gains set with o-scope or do you know if your clipping or not? How long were you playing it for before it went into protect?

This happened to my Sundown 125.2 because I was stupid and impatient and played it before I got my scope. Cut off on me once and that was all it took for me to wait it out. Scoped the amp and was clipping it slightly. Plus that was with 125 degree days with the heat index.

SMD Super Seller/Buyer

Audison----Hertz----Rainbow

Yesterday i was playing my system pretty loud, and it was warm out, and my highs went out again but never came back on.I bought a fan a few days ago and hoped it was helping. anyways when i got home and checked it out i found that id blown all 3 25a fuses on the amp.i figure its got to be the 1.7 stereo ohm load that caused it plus the heat. so i changed the wiring on my mids to series and it sounded horrible, lol so i put it back the way it was, but i upgraded my power and ground wire from 8g to 4g and took the cover off the side of the amp and placed the fan to get maximum airflow across the board. does that .3 ohms below 2ohms make that much a strain on the amp? i could see on some chinese amp but zapco? thing is it will play fine allday at low to med volume but it doesnt like heat or me railing on it. and ive turned the gain down to avoid clipping. any ideas on how to kool this thing down

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Yesterday i was playing my system pretty loud, and it was warm out, and my highs went out again but never came back on.I bought a fan a few days ago and hoped it was helping. anyways when i got home and checked it out i found that id blown all 3 25a fuses on the amp.i figure its got to be the 1.7 stereo ohm load that caused it plus the heat. so i changed the wiring on my mids to series and it sounded horrible, lol so i put it back the way it was, but i upgraded my power and ground wire from 8g to 4g and took the cover off the side of the amp and placed the fan to get maximum airflow across the board. does that .3 ohms below 2ohms make that much a strain on the amp? i could see on some chinese amp but zapco? thing is it will play fine allday at low to med volume but it doesnt like heat or me railing on it. and ive turned the gain down to avoid clipping. any ideas on how to kool this thing down

first using the 8 guage was a bad idea. its good that you upgraded the power and ground wire. also 2/4 channel amps get hot. I'd check the gain setting and make sure not yo use bass boost if it has it and add a fan on the outside so the ambient air isn't "static". If its in the sun move it out of the sun

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon