DC Sound Lab

15" XL in 2dr Blazer System Set-up HELP!!!

Hello, I have a 2 door blazer and have a 15" DC XL on the way, I hear there best in right around 3.5 cubes. I will have 2-3k on tap. I need help with my system design, I know it will be sub up port to drivers side. I wanted to use a 8" aero but to get a tuning of 35 hz, it would be like 25" long in 3.6 cubes, i would be ok in 4 cubes. Is this to big? The system is for daily ground pound, I want it as loud as possible for demos! I am contacting the port guy to see how long we can go. but anyways, I need your guys help, let me know what you think for volume, tuning, and if I should just change to slot port and use the 8" aero for my comp box!

Also let me know what these things will really handle daily, I was thinking 3 cubes would be safe if im in 3.5 cubes but at 4 cubes that sounds a little scary!!! Again I got a 2-dr 97 blazer!

One more thing, I always see everyone trying to stay below the window line, is this important for all competing organizations? Again if I end up making 2 boxes It wont matter but dims under window line are (HxWxD) 16x38x28 16" can go to about 22" if I disregard window line.

Thanks a lot guys Im really excited I have been researching these babys for SOOO long and finnalt out of a stroke of luck got one that is pretty much to for a great trade! I have been om'in so many ppl I see who have them and have heard BTLs dd 9500's nightshades and HDC3's and they all say the XL stands out in SPL AND SQ the nightshade was very close and better to some, but I was suprised many ppl liked it over the BTL! They said the 9515 could get louder but the SQ was shitty....

For amps I am looking at a Crunch 3k I just discovered those and all the good reviews and bench tests on them, or else an mb quart 2k, IDK if 2k-3k difference will be that large and 2k will take minor electrical upgrades where 3k will take major! Thanks

ALL SUGGESTIONS AND INFORMATION APPRECIATED

2010-11 Project:

1 15" DC XL

1 AP3k

1 3.5 cube interchangeable port box

Finishing this all up over the winter and will be starting to compete in 2011!

651 - 612

ok. seems like you have alot of questions. i am going to see if i can part this out. 2 door blazer and it is for daily use, but you want it to be as loud as possible for demos? if it is for daily use then you might want a higher tune on the box instead of lower. the lower the tune usually means that you are trying to get a higher DB score, which is leaning more towards competition. so if you go with a daily setup, i would suggest a higher tuning of your box, which might not only make your box smaller but also the port size. Either way it is still going to be loud!

I am not familiar with that specific sub or anything, but my rule of thumb is if your not going to be doing competition you need a tune range of anywhere from 36hz to about 48hz just depending on what you listen to for daily use.

People have the boxes usually below the window line of the back because of the vision of sight for blind spots. if your not worried about your blind spot then you can wall the whole back part off. But with this electrical issue, i would suggest for a DAILY setup don't start changing out your stock setup! just add a battery to the back to help support your electrical with the car. if this doesn't help IM SORRY! REMEMBER that it is not what amplifier? that kill your electrical in regards to what subs your running but the amount of current/amps that the AMPLIFIER draws. So if the 2k doesn't require an electrical upgrade on your car and it takes less amps to run, go with that! it will be cheaper and still loud!

Edited by nickkresh

For alot of comps u need to be below the window line and 48 is way to high for daly bumping

First of all tuning lower is better for daily bumping and can be louder to the ear because the low notes feel loud! And higher tuning is for comps but is less musical.! this is wat I always understood. Anyways I was going to use an adjustable port to tune to 48 hz, but thanks guys keep it comign and i kind of re wrote my question!!!!

Hey I am building a box for a dc XL 15 d2 for my 97 blazer, It will be sub up port side, I will be making it with a square port on the bottom rear of the box exiting out of drivers side, with 15" of port in the box and 10" external with the external removeable for SPL comps, and I was thinking 3.75 cubes for daily ground pound, I want loudest possible ti the ear for demos, and tuned to 35 hz, and then when I remove the port I will put some bricks in bring the volume and down and tuning to 48 hz (res freq) and I was thinkg of about 2.5-3 cubes for SPL what do you think? Let me know any help is appreciated, I will only have 2-3k on tap and less to start with til I build up my electrical!!! SO I just want the ultimate ground pounder off of 1500-2k watts and maybe can rebuild when I get my 3k! thanks.!

2010-11 Project:

1 15" DC XL

1 AP3k

1 3.5 cube interchangeable port box

Finishing this all up over the winter and will be starting to compete in 2011!

651 - 612

sub up port back will work best just keep box at least 5 inches or so off the gate ;) if using a slot port try to keep at least 16" of tuning length

sealed up on the termlab mic on dash 4-sa12"s 2-3500d's 153.4db now testing a american bass 1100.1 no numbers yet 300amp iraggi alt and kinetik batts.

• 4 weeks later...