DC Sound Lab

Damaged DC XL 15"

Ok so I was goin to do a trade for my laptop on caco, The guy was shipping his dc xl 15" first to me, insured but he used the DC box and everything looked good, but there was a gap under the magnet so nothing was supporting it and it got ripped off the basket stripping out all the holes on the motor, now I have to retap the motor holes and recone the sub, who can fix this and how much? I have an offer from SPLaudio on ca.com he would use hisown parts which would save me the $135 from buying the recone through DC and I dont think DC will recone for me correct? I could probably tap it myself but I dont know how to recone, and im thinking that the $160 plus shipping is going to be the best bet? any got any other ideas??

Also is there a special process on fixing the motor? Someone said something about removing the top plate to do it correctly and reaming the holes on the basket to fit the bigger bolts, I cant do all that lol and even if dc would do the recone they wont fix the motor... So Im basically wondering if the $160 to fix and recone is my best bet... It will be about $40 shipped both ways through my work!

Also about the trade the dude was cool as hell and had money so he just said I COULD KEEP THE SUB FOR FREE!!! since it was his fault and UPS insurance wont cover it because it wasnt packed good enuf... I told him if I end up selling the motor Ill split the money with him, I got an offer for $120 shipped...

Thanks guys....

2010-11 Project:

1 15" DC XL

1 AP3k

1 3.5 cube interchangeable port box

Finishing this all up over the winter and will be starting to compete in 2011!

651 - 612

Sooo why dont you just send it back? dude sent you bunk product I wouldn't recone it lmao... Anyways yeah the best bet is having someone else do it cheap and/or buy a DC dustcap.

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

DC Does recones, I dunno about the XL, but if I want to ship my Level 5 to Rusty, it costs roughly 65 bucks there, and 65 bucks back, and he will only charge you for the recone and not labor. PM Rusty and ask him how much a recone would cost, and let him know your situation with the motor.

Warning, you are taking advice from a noob with 0 install experience at this point, any advice I give is strictly based on information gathered via the intrawebz and lots of forum surfing over a period of 2 months

If you are considering buying a DC Level 5, do it. Don't think about it, just do it. It'll work.

go to lowes get bricks wait in yard. throw said brick at vehicle. If thats me and that just happened to me Im going looking for him after that.

1. Goto lowes

2. Get some bricks

3. ???

4. PROFIT!!

Profit from everything. LOVE ideas like this. xD

Sooo why dont you just send it back? dude sent you bunk product I wouldn't recone it lmao... Anyways yeah the best bet is having someone else do it cheap and/or buy a DC dustcap.

You must have missed this part... He's getting a fully functional freshly reconed DC Audio 15" Level 4XL for $200.00. Who wouldn't take that offer? lol

Also about the trade the dude was cool as hell and had money so he just said I COULD KEEP THE SUB FOR FREE!!! since it was his fault and UPS insurance wont cover it because it wasnt packed good enuf... I told him if I end up selling the motor Ill split the money with him, I got an offer for $120 shipped...

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

You must have missed this part... He's getting a fully functional freshly reconed DC Audio 15" Level 4XL for $200.00. Who wouldn't take that offer? lol

Is that 200 bucks including the shipping? Cause if it isn't, a recone doesn't cost 200 bucks.

Warning, you are taking advice from a noob with 0 install experience at this point, any advice I give is strictly based on information gathered via the intrawebz and lots of forum surfing over a period of 2 months

If you are considering buying a DC Level 5, do it. Don't think about it, just do it. It'll work.

go to lowes get bricks wait in yard. throw said brick at vehicle. If thats me and that just happened to me Im going looking for him after that.

1. Goto lowes

2. Get some bricks

3. ???

4. PROFIT!!

Is that 200 bucks including the shipping? Cause if it isn't, a recone doesn't cost 200 bucks.

You are correct, and the OP said this:

So Im basically wondering if the $160 to fix and recone is my best bet... It will be about $40 shipped both ways through my work!

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

You are correct, and the OP said this:

Ooooh, yeah for some reason when I read that the first time it didn't click. Yeah, that's a good deal.

1. Goto lowes

2. Get some bricks

3. ???

4. PROFIT!!

$200 with shipping, I got it all free, DC wont fix the motor tho thats the thing, so it would be like $185 shipped both ways for DC to recone my XL and then I would have to tap the motor myself, Idk why he said in order for it to be tapped correctly you had to remove the topplate?

Im thinking my best bet is just to have it all fixed by the one guy for $200 I mean I could try to do everything meself to learn but I just dont want to screw it up... and I would have to ream the basket to fit the bigger bolts... which i am assuming is just drilling it out?

Im just really pissed about the whole situation, I had my heart set on a DC XL for awhile and my gf lost her job so we have literally been livin off of like nothing, as I got to pay our rent and all the bills, so there was not gonna be money for me to buy a sub anytime soon and i got super lucky when this dude wanted to trade for my laptop because thats the only way I could afford my dream sub lol and now i dont even know if I can afford to get it fixed, And its not worth sellin cause I will only get like $90 out of it which I will have to split the original sellers, ya i could tell him I just kept it but he has been so cool about everything I am not gonna screw him over, he's already out a laptop. But I am gonna get him something one way or another because hes just a really nice guy and there isnt many good ppl out there like him anymore

:) Thanks everyone for your input This just really really sucks for me!!! Maybe Someone will fix it for my laptop lol its worth like $400, but i was hopin I could trade that for a better amp cause the one I was gonna get stuck powerin it with was da weakness lol~

Edited by dj00140

2010-11 Project:

1 15" DC XL

1 AP3k

1 3.5 cube interchangeable port box

Finishing this all up over the winter and will be starting to compete in 2011!

651 - 612

$200 with shipping, I got it all free, DC wont fix the motor tho thats the thing, so it would be like $185 shipped both ways for DC to recone my XL and then I would have to tap the motor myself, Idk why he said in order for it to be tapped correctly you had to remove the topplate?

Im thinking my best bet is just to have it all fixed by the one guy for $200 I mean I could try to do everything meself to learn but I just dont want to screw it up... and I would have to ream the basket to fit the bigger bolts... which i am assuming is just drilling it out?

Im just really pissed about the whole situation, I had my heart set on a DC XL for awhile and my gf lost her job so we have literally been livin off of like nothing, as I got to pay our rent and all the bills, so there was not gonna be money for me to buy a sub anytime soon and i got super lucky when this dude wanted to trade for my laptop because thats the only way I could afford my dream sub lol and now i dont even know if I can afford to get it fixed, And its not worth sellin cause I will only get like $90 out of it which I will have to split the original sellers, ya i could tell him I just kept it but he has been so cool about everything I am not gonna screw him over, he's already out a laptop. But I am gonna get him something one way or another because hes just a really nice guy and there isnt many good ppl out there like him anymore

:) Thanks everyone for your input This just really really sucks for me!!! Maybe Someone will fix it for my laptop lol its worth like $400, but i was hopin I could trade that for a better amp cause the one I was gonna get stuck powerin it with was da weakness lol~

This is strictly knowledge based, no actual experience behind it so someone else can chime in if i'm wrong BUT! Fixing the motor SHOULD be just retapping to a slightly larger hole since the current hole is already a set size, and is stripped. I just don't know what could/would happen with metal shavings, considering you couldn't just blow/suck them out because of the magnetic force. And yeah, removing the top plate is next to impossible, have you seen the video of them assembling the new Neo motors? When the top plate got like 2 inches away from the neos it got sucked down with some good finger breaking force.

1. Goto lowes

2. Get some bricks

3. ???

4. PROFIT!!