I started competing in Sound Quality in 1997, but walked away from it all in 2006 after a nasty confrontation with a head judge that liked to make up his own rules. Selling my SQ car was easy to do at the time, but I have missed it everyday since. Now I have been following things on SMD for a while now and have been thinking about building my first SPL car. My platform is usable, it's a 1990 Honda Civic hatch. Since money is a big issue with the Financial Advisor (my wife), it looks like its gonna be a hard long road. Since I don't sleep well, I lay in bed plotting and planning all kinds of stuff. As aweful as it sounds I think I am fixing to build the worlds cheapest SPL install and hope for the best. I am just worried about just how cheap the system is gonna have to be. When Sound Quality was our thing, the Advisor was all for buiulding and doing the things that had to be done to make these cars happen. Now she has NO interest in anything 12volt(hehe). just wondering if any of you guys have had this kind of issue. I figure this is a better thread than "How will this sound?" haha

2005 USACi National SQ Points Champion

2008 Top 12 Installer, Mobile Electronics magazine

2009 Top 12 Installer, Mobile Electronics magazine

2010 Top 12 Installer, Mobile Electronics magazine

2012 Top 100 Installer, Mobile Electronics magazine

sounds like a fun project, builds are always more rewarding when it sounds great on a low budget.

How much is cheap though? Im 18 so when i hear a cheap system, to me thats under $1,000.

I would be interested in your brand choices though. and sub setup.

:good:

Austin of AAAudio

Our website

you dont have to do an all out spl build make it a great sounding daily driver. Don't forget how enjoyable great sounding music is. She probably loved it because of how good it sounded. Get the balance between a loud car and a great sounding car and she will be back into it in no time.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

sounds like a fun project, builds are always more rewarding when it sounds great on a low budget.

How much is cheap though? Im 18 so when i hear a cheap system, to me thats under $1,000.

I would be interested in your brand choices though. and sub setup.

:good:

unfortunately the choices I have available are forced upon by the affordablity/availability formula. My company allows us to a discount on equipment, but my budget is virtually non-existant. I was considering a Kicker DX1000 (within my budget) and four low wattage 15's, or six low wattage 12's (undecided). The goal is to enjoy making some local spl events. But nothing is set in stone. I'd like to get my hands on a RE VLX3DE, but it's WAY out of my proce range.

you dont have to do an all out spl build make it a great sounding daily driver. Don't forget how enjoyable great sounding music is. She probably loved it because of how good it sounded. Get the balance between a loud car and a great sounding car and she will be back into it in no time.

Even though its my work car, its sounds great. I miss the shows and thought a little SPL system could be fun at some of the little shows we have here. Because of rules, one of our builds had to be finished by her, a friend, her sister, and our kids! Winning with a car that they basically built themselves was so much fun for me. My (then 9 year old) daughter gave some awesome bragging rights when people found out she was working with her mom on kicks and trunk panels!

i know all about that, bass race world finals 2006.

Man! I wanted to pull this A$$hole through the little window in his trailer! I went to him respectfully with a question about an error on my judging sheet, he gave me attitude in return. If the car had seen its first show, or two, then I could see his point of view (when I finally got his response). But this car had seen 22 shows the year before. This was show six of that year. I just wanted to know why after sooo many judges scored us high in certain catagories, that he ignored those categories all together. He basically had his own rule he followed, which wasn't in the rulebook. In the heat of the moment, I swore I'd never go back, but now the people that are covering our area are more responsive to questions and have read the rulebook a few times :)

I really miss the shows and wish I could get back in it again.

you might love bass race i dont know if its offered in your area or not.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

you might love bass race i dont know if its offered in your area or not.

I love anything to do with competing. we have a large following for USACi here, there is a DB Drag every once in a while, but not often. I actually hate going to shows now. I get there, then miss the atmosphere, miss building cars, etc. I hope I can pull something off so I at least drop in on a show every once in a while.

Man! I wanted to pull this A$$hole through the little window in his trailer! I went to him respectfully with a question about an error on my judging sheet, he gave me attitude in return. If the car had seen its first show, or two, then I could see his point of view (when I finally got his response). But this car had seen 22 shows the year before. This was show six of that year. I just wanted to know why after sooo many judges scored us high in certain catagories, that he ignored those categories all together. He basically had his own rule he followed, which wasn't in the rulebook. In the heat of the moment, I swore I'd never go back, but now the people that are covering our area are more responsive to questions and have read the rulebook a few times :)

I really miss the shows and wish I could get back in it again.

2006 bass race world finals i was in the semi finals, ans tied at 139.9

in bass race, at that time atleast, when you tied, you had 5 minutes to re-charge your car before tie breaker. as soon as the round was over, the meter said "tie", and then said 5 minutes, and started the automatic countdown. sam horn said "just ignore that, we are gonna restart in 25 seconds". i looked at him and said that the rule book states 5 minutes, and he said to get ready we are starting in 25 seconds. i have never wanted to break someones head in that fuckin bad in my life. i traveled so many miles, spent so much money on the trip, and got screwed, plain and simple. 25 seconds is not adequate time to recharge your car. had 25 seconds actually been the rule, i would have had more batteries in my car to accommodate.

Edited by Hugh G. Rection

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg