Sonic Electronix

Can't get rid of static noise

i have a 02 4runner and just got my kicker zx 850.4 hooked up to 4 tweeters and 4 6x9s. whenever i turn the amp on i get retardedly loud static out of the speakers. subs aren't hooked up yet, waiting for the amp. i have a d3100 in the hood, one in back, dc power 270xp alt. i have 3/0 welding cable (radaflex from cableyard.com) going from +/+ and -/- this is going down the left side of the suv, and monster cable rcas going down the center on the left side, theyre around a foot and a half away from each other. i checked all the connections in my eclipse head unit, speaker wires and rca to amp. regrounded the battery and amp first sanding down the terminals and the mounting point then used a self tapping screw to hold them down. big 3 is done in the 3/0 welding cable as well. i went to radioshack and picked up a ground loop isolator to see if that would help and it did absolutely nothing. the static gets a lot softer when i turn the volume down but is still there. i'd rather not have to drown it out with music everytime i get in the car so any help would be great. Thanks

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

Have you tries grounding the amp to the battery?

i read about that and it seems alot of people said chasis is better. would i just ground it to the battery only or battery and chasis?

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

hell, ill go do it now and see if it works. thanks

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

You have positive and negative ran from front to rear battery correct? That is the most efficient way. By grounding to the chassis in the back it means the ground has to travel through the frame to the front battery before it completes it "circuit"

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

just tried it, didn't help. the back battery negative is connected to the front battery negative and the chassis. should i take the ground off the chasis and use only the front battery negative as the ground? and ground all amps to the battery?

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

No. The battery doesn't actually create the ground. Are all ground locations sanded to bare metal? I really don't know so I'm going to ask...is it a unibody or does it actually have a frame?

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

sanded everything including the terminals. it has a frame. theres actually a bolt right by it that i was using as a ground before and i can see the chassis right underneath it. will i need to grind off the frame? i had this amp hooked up before i got the alternator, had a stock battery, and was using 4 gauge for power and ground and had no problems with any noise then. also i read that having a run from neg to neg can invite ground loops, no idea how true that is though.

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

kicker zx 850.4 amp for my subs is gonna be a soundstream dtr3400

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

Archived