Voltage drop after upgrades

so i just added a 3rd battery to my set up, so i have an odyssey 1500 up front, odyssey 2150 in the back, and just added a northstar NSB75 in the back. I have a 220amp alt, 2 runs from alt to front batt, 1 run front to back, 1 run from alt to back batt, 1 run from rear batt to rear batt, all grounds to frame. running a saz 2k at 2 ohms, and a sax 125.2. Now before i added the 3rd battery the NSB 75, i had not bad voltage drop, maybe 4 volts max full tilt. now with the NSB75 in the mix, i get even worse voltage drop. thats when i added the 2nd run from alt to front batt, and the run from alt to rear batt, still didnt change anything, im ready to pull it back out, as it seems like it was a big waste of time and money adding a 3rd battery. why is all this happening? i thought it would have gotten better.

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver

5.25 cubes @ 31hz

The alt is working harder to maintain all the batteries together, you need bigger alt not more batteries. There could also be something wrong with one or more of the batteries. That could pull the voltage down and keep it down if you have a bad cell.

Edited by AMI CUSTOMS

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

i was getting told to add another battery if i was dropping my amp down to under 1ohm. so i did. also, when there is no bass the voltage rests around 14.4. so i dont think there is anything wrong with the batteries. i could be wrong though. but i think im just going to take the battery back out. i got it for a good price so i figured why not, i didnt buy it to have to upgrade more things.

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver

5.25 cubes @ 31hz

yea dont sweat it. Take the batt out and see what happens. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but you have two runs of wire from alt to front batt, one run from front to back, and then another run of wire from alt to rear batt? Why not just run the wire from + to + on the batteries. In theory it shouldn't make a difference since they are wired in parallel with the other batts and alt, but I've never heard of someone doing it like this. It sounds like you have some weird love triangle going on with your wires. Maybe I'm just a noob :pardon:

If you weren't having a problem with it, I would think that observation was pointless, but since there is one, I'm just throwing it out there.

ty

TY

Moet poppin', hoe hoppin', aint no stoppin' B.I.G. poppa, I'm a bad boy

Party and Bullshit - The Notorious B.I.G.

Honest estimate on this truck when it's all done........... 172.3...........

Ehh.. U are aware of what 172.3 is, right?

yep.....:)

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

so i just added a 3rd battery to my set up, so i have an odyssey 1500 up front, odyssey 2150 in the back, and just added a northstar NSB75 in the back. I have a 220amp alt, 2 runs from alt to front batt, 1 run front to back, 1 run from alt to back batt, 1 run from rear batt to rear batt, all grounds to frame. running a saz 2k at 2 ohms, and a sax 125.2. Now before i added the 3rd battery the NSB 75, i had not bad voltage drop, maybe 4 volts max full tilt. now with the NSB75 in the mix, i get even worse voltage drop. thats when i added the 2nd run from alt to front batt, and the run from alt to rear batt, still didnt change anything, im ready to pull it back out, as it seems like it was a big waste of time and money adding a 3rd battery. why is all this happening? i thought it would have gotten better.

I really think you should look into wiring all grounds to each battery instead of to the frame, this could possibly solve your problem if its a older car.

DONT MIND ME, IM JUST A DISRESPECTFUL PIECE OF SHIT.

You shouldnt need to run any wire from the alt to the rear batteries. With you current setup I would go with the following configuration.

1) Big 3

2) 1 run of 1/0 power and ground from alt to front battery. Having 2 runs is pointless since 1 run can handle all of the power that your 220 amp alt can put out.

3) 1 run each of + and - from front battery to back batteries. You can do 2 runs of each if you want but 1 each of +and- should be plenty.

4) Wire the rear batteries together to complete the circle.

After you do this if you still have voltage drop then I would look into that 3rd battery being bad, but so far is sounds like you have alot of unnecessary wiring. Your 220 amp alt should be able to keep up with just the 3 batteries with no issue.

Let us know how it turns out.

well the reason i put the 2nd run on the alt is, it didnt need to go to the front battery, i kind of wanted to cut the middle man out (the front battery) plus i already have soo much on the front battery terminal its getting pretty full. all grounds go to frame, its a 99 s10, the frame is 1 piece. there is no need for me to run a ground from the front battery to the rear, because the front battery is grounded to the frame. seems pointless to me. big 3 is already done. also in my eyes the only wire that seems pointless is the 2nd run from alt to front battery. but i have a shit load of wire sitting here and through hmm what the heck, make the flow easier. I made a thread not to long ago about this 3rd battery and a 2nd run of pos. and ppl were telling oh no do it its really worth it and what not, but i have seen 0 results of it, and like you said, the single run can handle what i have. but i did it anyways.. before i bought all this i had 2nd thoughts it wasn't going to be worth it, and it seems to be playing out to be that way. But people told me that i needed to...

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver

5.25 cubes @ 31hz

well the reason i put the 2nd run on the alt is, it didnt need to go to the front battery, i kind of wanted to cut the middle man out (the front battery) plus i already have soo much on the front battery terminal its getting pretty full. all grounds go to frame, its a 99 s10, the frame is 1 piece. there is no need for me to run a ground from the front battery to the rear, because the front battery is grounded to the frame. seems pointless to me. big 3 is already done. also in my eyes the only wire that seems pointless is the 2nd run from alt to front battery. but i have a shit load of wire sitting here and through hmm what the heck, make the flow easier. I made a thread not to long ago about this 3rd battery and a 2nd run of pos. and ppl were telling oh no do it its really worth it and what not, but i have seen 0 results of it, and like you said, the single run can handle what i have. but i did it anyways.. before i bought all this i had 2nd thoughts it wasn't going to be worth it, and it seems to be playing out to be that way. But people told me that i needed to...

WELL AL THE BEST TO YOU

So you have runs of wires from your alt going to the front AND rear batteries correct?

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

yes sir, 2 runs from alt to front batt, 1 run from alt to rear batt (s)

99 s10 4.3L

Big 3

220amp alt

Odyssey 1500

Odyssey 2150

Northstar NSB 75

Sundown Audio 3500D

Sundown Audio 125.2

3 Sundown Audio SA-12's

Alpine H/U

RF Power Comp set 6.5"

RF 3 sixty line driver