Sonic Electronix

Building enclosure need a couple pointers

Hey guys, new to the forums here, I am going to be building an enclosure for the woofer I just bought: P3D210 with external dimensions: H12.5 W 17.5in TD 12in BD 19.5in. I plan to tune this enclosure to ~ 32hz, I listen to every kind of music there is and participate in no competitions (if this tuning frequency sucks feel free to let me know). This will be powered by a 500rms Sony Xplod amp (the woofer is 400rms and I have read that it is better to overpower the woofer but not under-power the woofer, if this is incorrect feel free to correct me)

The details that I am a bit confused on are:

-Stuffing the box, what do I stuff it with, how much do I put inside, what does this do?

-Also, I have read that I should round the internal port edges (I will be using a slot port 1x6in) to reduce port noise, is this is critical detail, I have only seen it 1 time so far so I feel it may be misinformation or extremely minor.

-Carpeting the box, what is the carpet called that I see on most boxes, where can I buy it and what is the best kind of glue to use to hold it in place ( I have read to use contact adhesive, but like the other 2 points I do not see much information about this and I do not want to experiment while on a tight budget)

-Bracing, with 3/4 inch MDF and only 1.4 cb ft internal volume, is bracing going to be necessary?

I know I am asking for a lot of information, but I have searched for quite some time now to answer these questions and I am running into dead ends or people requiring money for advice. Any help highly appreciated, I would like to start construction on this box in the next week or 2, at which point I will post pictures so you can see that your answers were put to good use.

Hey guys, new to the forums here, I am going to be building an enclosure for the woofer I just bought: P3D210 with external dimensions: H12.5 W 17.5in TD 12in BD 19.5in. I plan to tune this enclosure to ~ 32hz, I listen to every kind of music there is and participate in no competitions (if this tuning frequency sucks feel free to let me know). This will be powered by a 500rms Sony Xplod amp (the woofer is 400rms and I have read that it is better to overpower the woofer but not under-power the woofer, if this is incorrect feel free to correct me)

The details that I am a bit confused on are:

-Stuffing the box, what do I stuff it with, how much do I put inside, what does this do?

-Also, I have read that I should round the internal port edges (I will be using a slot port 1x6in) to reduce port noise, is this is critical detail, I have only seen it 1 time so far so I feel it may be misinformation or extremely minor.

-Carpeting the box, what is the carpet called that I see on most boxes, where can I buy it and what is the best kind of glue to use to hold it in place ( I have read to use contact adhesive, but like the other 2 points I do not see much information about this and I do not want to experiment while on a tight budget)

-Bracing, with 3/4 inch MDF and only 1.4 cb ft internal volume, is bracing going to be necessary?

I know I am asking for a lot of information, but I have searched for quite some time now to answer these questions and I am running into dead ends or people requiring money for advice. Any help highly appreciated, I would like to start construction on this box in the next week or 2, at which point I will post pictures so you can see that your answers were put to good use.

Stuffing is not necessary. Rounding edges of a port will make the air flow better and sound better. The carpet most use is sold in rolls at walmart in the automotive section. i use titebond spray adhesive (comes in a blue can) and staples. Bracing wont be necessary for your box.

If your box is going to be 1.4 ft^3 you will need 22-29 square inches of port (you have 6 right now).

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

i just built my first box about a month ago. stuff i was recommended by a professional box builder (pat from idyllic enclosures) was premium tite bond 2 wood glue, 1 and 3/8 drywall screws. you can get spray on glue at walmart in the automotive section, works pretty well, they have carpet there too. not sure where everyone else gets their carpet. i used truckbed liner on mine. buy a gallon of it at walmart and a 3 dollar roller paint kit and roll it on. really easy to do and imo is an awesome finish. make sure you pre drill holes. from what i've read don't stuff the box. shouldn't need bracing for that size/power.

33711_1488940461724_1180320105_31182747_6123580_n.jpg

truckbed liner is awesome, nice textured finish :D takes a while for the smell to go away though. had to drive with all my windows down for about a week lol

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

Stuffing is not necessary. Rounding edges of a port will make the air flow better and sound better. The carpet most use is sold in rolls at walmart in the automotive section. i use titebond spray adhesive (comes in a blue can) and staples. Bracing wont be necessary for your box.

If your box is going to be 1.4 ft^3 you will need 22-29 square inches of port (you have 6 right now).

Slot port, I forgot to add 3rd dimension: 1x6 is front depth is 8.75

Archived