Roseville Galleria Burnt Down!

Hours after police officers arrested a suspect who allegedly set a fire and barricaded himself inside the Roseville Galleria Mall, firefighters have finally been able to contain the blaze.

According to officials, firefighters are inside the mall and will remain on scene all night to monitor hot spots.

"With all the debris portions of the roof that fell in that created pockets of hot spots, so that is what firefighters are working on as we speak. Some active flames, crews going after hot spots, " said Dennis Mathisen, Division Chief, Roseville Fire Department.

A thick plume of black smoke could be seen for miles. Firefighters were only able to fight the fire from the outside of the building because a portion of the roof has collapsed in the area of the GameStop. The mall's sprinkler system is working and had been keeping the flames at bay until around 2 p.m.

Firefighters had been kept out of the mall for hours as police apprehended the suspect and tried to analyze the contents of his backpack. Officers were getting close to determining the bag's contents when the nearby fire got too big, forcing officers to abandon their operation. Police now say that the fire may have been set by the suspect in different areas of the mall -- in the roof or in an external crawl space.

The incident began just after 10 a.m. when the suspect entered the GameStop store, which is located on the second floor between Macy's and JCPenney.

Employees at the store say the suspect, who a friend and co-worker has identified as Alexander Corney Piggee, 23,(the city of Roseville reports that his name is spelled 'Pigee') who is said to be a transient, made some incoherent remarks about his sister being held captive and ordered employees out of the store, telling them that he had a gun. None of the employees saw the gun. The man then set a fire inside the store. Witnesses tell CBS13 they saw smoke billowing out the front doors of GameStop. They then saw SWAT officers with guns drawn approaching the store and ordered the suspect out.

At 12:15, officers captured the suspect outside the GameStop store in a corridor where he was attempting to hide, they say. Three heavily armed officers walked the hand-cuffed man out of the mall to an outside bench where they kept him for nearly an hour. The suspect was also checked out by paramedics before he was taken away in a Roseville Police patrol car.

The suspect was taken to a local hospital to be evaluated as a precautionary measure, but has since been transported and booked into the Placer County Jail.

The suspect was wearing a black hooded-sweat shirt, a purple t-shirt with the words "Pretty Boy" written in graffiti-style script on the front, a bandana tied around his neck and dark blue jeans.

There had been reports of possible shots fired, but police now say that may have been a window breaking or flash bang grenades used to detain the suspect.

Officers from CHP, Placer County Sheriff's Department and fire personnel were assisting Roseville police and mall security.

The mall fire isn't the first one set by the suspect today. He allegedly also started a fire this morning at a Wal-Mart in Antelope where he worked. A co-worker and friend of the suspect said the suspect had glassy eyes and "seemed out of it." He also had luggage, which she said seemed odd. Sacramento Metro Fire Department came to the store to put the fire out. By that time, the suspect was gone.

Piggee's coworker and friend also told CBS13 that the "past couple of weeks had been very hard on him." Apparently, Piggee was recently in a car accident, and had been on Oxycontin. She also said that his mother had kicked him out of the house a few months ago, and that may explain why he had luggage in his possession.

CBS13 interviewed the Piggee's mother, who said she told him to move out of the family house several months ago because he was old enough to live on his own. Since then, he had been rotating among family members, said the woman, Mary Carter.

"He wasn't a bad kid. I don't know what happened," she told CBS13.

She went on to say that her son had developed mental health problems in the past couple of years and that he recently was fired from a fast-food burger chain in West Sacramento.

Piggee is facing charges of aggravated arson and criminal threats, police say.

Officials say the Roseville Galleria could be closed or limited in operations for months because of Thursday's blaze.

"We were all talking about how this was going to affect the holidays -- it couldn't be worse," said Michele Witte of neighboring Rocklin, who frequently came to the Galleria at 5 a.m. for "Black Friday" sales after Thanksgiving.

"Especially when they added some of the high-end stores, people would travel here just to shop," she said. "They came here instead of San Francisco."

The 240-store mall, operated by Westfield Corp., was built in 2000 and includes a Nordstrom. It underwent a $270 million expansion that was completed in 2008, adding Louis Vuitton, Tiffany and Burberry and other high-end stores.

Westfield Group spokeswoman Katy Dickey said there are no estimates yet on the cost of the damage.

Lawn sprinklers saves your grass fire sprinklers save your ass

hahaaha, awesome, lol

i got 4 in my dorm room, a bit overkill i would say, haha

I hate long signatures....

...what the fuck is wrong wiht you you fucking fuckity fuck fuck head...

Mtnbikecrazy55 Feedback

hahaaha, awesome, lol

i got 4 in my dorm room, a bit overkill i would say, haha

Not in the least bit. Take a look at them and see what color the bulb is. Most of the time they're red. Which means in order for that to activate, it needs to see at least 155 degrees. Depending on how your sprinkler system was designed, either one or all 4 of them might work at the same time.

But think about it. By the time its 155 degrees at the ceiling something is seriously wrong already.....So overkill isnt really overkill, its just smart ;) Actually by that time you would already be on the ground fucking the floor for clean air.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Archived