Second Skin Audio

What's the difference???

depending on how big the box is, power your using and what freq you want to produce.

depending on what subs your using.

from what ive seen at rms typical results are:

larger ports peak higher but peaks steeper

larger boxes pulls the band to lower freqs (to a point)

smaller ports are easier to generate lower freqs

again this is what ive noticed but different subs will yield different results.

atomic apx is one of those that threw me off. i got better results with a large box with smaller ports vs. smaller box with larger ports overpowering it.

the difference is choking off a woofer and having a good balance of port area

^^That! My assumption is that unless you are way under powering the sub and no desire for optimal output, smaller port area per cub is somewhat doable. the disadvantage, sound crappy and pointless. However, if you put more powa, poof! (that's the choking)

My Build Log- T E A M S U N D O W N A U D I O -

2013 DbDrag WF SS1-2 - 5th Place 154.6db

2013 MECA Mod3 CA State Final Champ 153.4db

Powered by: Sundown Audio

the difference is choking off a woofer and having a good balance of port area

ive had 3 L5 12's on 866wrms each in 6.2ft^3 w/ 5.5sq in of port tuned to 34.58HZ the lows Slammed like the 22-38hz range but the sq wasnt that good. i LOVE LOW songs but im not sure if i could get the LOWS louder with 10-12 sq in tuned to like 26-30hz

Look. It's real simple.

If you like low tuned songs, and you go with too small of port area, you'll hear a nasty huffing noise.

I've heard this noise from 4 18's on a 13x44 port (yes...)

The rule of thumb of 12-16 didn't come around on accident. You can go smaller but you'll have to take airflow into mind and think about it HARD. Kerf bends, flare ends, route edges.

ive had 3 L5 12's on 866wrms each in 6.2ft^3 w/ 5.5sq in of port tuned to 34.58HZ the lows Slammed like the 22-38hz range but the sq wasnt that good. i LOVE LOW songs but im not sure if i could get the LOWS louder with 10-12 sq in tuned to like 26-30hz

i don't recommend tuning kicker that low.

My Build Log- T E A M S U N D O W N A U D I O -

2013 DbDrag WF SS1-2 - 5th Place 154.6db

2013 MECA Mod3 CA State Final Champ 153.4db