Sonic Electronix

my speakers are putting out a whining noise..

i think my head unit is grounded, im pretty sure. but i just had a hunch that was what it was so i pulled my dash off yesterday to check it and grounded it where my line driver was grounded so i know it would be a good ground, and it still didnt help it.

now.. it has happened before and i just bought new rca's.. but i dont wana have to buy 4 new sets of rcas.

it sounds like i have a turbo, like when i get on the gas it whines louder and louder as my rpms go up, and i guess that makes me alternator put out more power and that power comes through my zero gauge.. and my line driver is right next to it so do you think that could be the reason? because my rcas are somewhat close to my power wire?

the speakers whine, and when i cut my truck on or off, like the amps powering on or off the speakers thump just once...

i dont know what to do really.. but thanks yall..

take a piece of speaker wire, take all insulation off, and wrap it around all the preouts on the headunit (the outside part which is the -) and then screw left over end(s) into headunit chassis with a screw. should solve it

its a sony xplod..

i did some research on this forum and it was talking bout pioneer head units being bad for it.. so i think i might just try that when i get out of school and ground the rcas... can i just do it with some extra rem wire i got laying around? or is that too little? cause i got some thicker rockford speaker wire that i got a bunch of, i could just tear off one side so its just 1 piece of wire and use it to be a ground couldnt i? if i have to run the ground to a spot i know is a good ground? and i have a line driver too... do you think i would have to do it to each set of rcas that go into my line driver, or just the one set at the back of my head unit?

thanks for the fast response man..

i got a of silverado, do you think the parts that hold the headunit in, like the screws that hold my ac control and all in would be grounds? cause if not i will have to run it down to a screw on the drivers side, do you think a remote power wire would be able to do this? if not i do have like some 12-XX gauge power wire.. or some rockford speaker wiring that i could just use one half of to do, but yeah... would remote power wire be enough to ground it if i wrapped a good little bit around my rcas? and i have a line driver too, do i need to do it to every set of rcas, just one rca out of every set, or just one set... thanks

I've had the same problem for so long that I just started ignoring it. I only remember I have it when the volumes damn near off. This is especially because it doesn't make sense. When I unplug the main rca's (input) from the back of the equalizer, it still happens. When I unplug one of the sets of rca's (front OR rear) I don't hear it from the speakers that r still plugged in... Sounds nice without that whine but iono wat that could b. Turning down my gain some helped but, even with it all the way down, I still hear it a little.

Archived