New system for a Grand Cherokee...ideas?

I am looking to install a new system in my WJ. I want an SQ type system. Not a full out SQ system but a nice sounding daily driver. I of course am on a budget...ok...let me rephrase...I'm pretty freaking poor...lol. I am not really sure what to look at as far as the front stage. I have a pair of SA-8's for the rear and will be powering them with an Audiopipe AP10001D (700w RMS) unless someone has a better suggestion. There are just so many companies and options out there it is a bit intimidating to someone new to car audio like me. I don't want to get crazy with customization...I am thinking stock locations for the most part. Front doors have 6x9's but I was thinking 6.5 components and throwing the tweets in the factory spot on the dash but I would not object to placing them somewhere else if they would be better elsewhere. Rear doors...not sure if I will put new speakers in there or not. Thoughts? I don't really haul anyone around but the kids and they could careless about my tunes. I figure it will save money by skipping the rear doors but if you think it will make a considerable difference in the quality of the music I will reconsider.

I know this will be suggested...wiring will be handled properly and the Big 3 will be done. I am also going to do some deadening, not all at once but in sections as money allows starting in the cargo area and front doors.

As far as what I listen too...if that matters for selection of components...I listen to alot of different stuff. Anything from classic rock from the 60's and 70's to Dave Matthews to Tom Waits to Rob Zombie, Powerman 5000, The Crystal Method, to 311...you get the idea...variety. I do not listen to rap or country.

So sorry for being so newb and vague. I am just looking for some direction. I have been and will be continuing to read as much on here and other sites as I can. I appreciate the help.

Oh...and any box suggestions would be awesome too. I am building it myself. I pretty much have the box designed and airspace worked out...just lost on figuring out the porting. I figured aeroports for the simplicity but I would be happy to do a slotted port if someone could help me with the dimensions. I am not even sure what tuning to go for so I would be grateful for suggestions on that as well. I guess what I am looking for is good sound with the ability to get some bump from the subs/box too. Thanks again.

Edited by JeepBum

first off man, buy some Peel N Seal from lowes or home depot, hella cheap, 6.5" x 25' for 14.98, 2 layers of that works as good sound deadener, secondly, selinium speakers from parts express ( http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-422 )

thirdly, tweets, you dont need any in the rear stage unless you want them, but i have used these and they're pretty good

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=275-070

lastly, a sub, i have one of these in my cousins honda, nice sq, can hit lows and mids.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-404

tune to 38hz and you should have a winner.

for the amp, if you search your local craigslist you should be able to find a cheap rockford 500.1 or something along those lines.

Edited by BanginOnABudget

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look in to them. As far as the subs...I actually already have the two SA-8's...I do need an amp though. Oh...and I forgot to add above that the head unit I have installed already is a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X494.

Again...thanks for the help so far.

well http://www.craigslist.org is here to help, see if you can find a local amp on the cheap (jl, alpine, rockford, so on)

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

I want to suggest audioque 1200d for the sa-8

http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=26

Second Fatmat

http://www.fatmat.co.../fatmat/50.html

Will be enough to do whole roof once and twice.

For mids and highs, you could do crescendo components in the front, and rear.

http://www.crescendoaudio.com/product.php?productid=17514&cat=0&page=0&featured=Y

Tune the sa-8s to maybe 38hz and they will fill you wj with sound easily. Let me tell you, i have a xj dad has a zj, jeeps get loud easily :D

Edited by Socky

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

I have seen the AQ 1200d suggested a few times to others as well. Looks like a good amp and seems to get good reviews. I'll look into it. I just need to make sure that the 870 watts isn't too much for the subs. They will be wired at 2 ohms.

The Crescendo stuff looks nice. The only other thing I was suggested for highs from another guy I know was a CDT Audio Classic component set. How about an amp for front stage? Are the MB Quart Discus series alright? I guess a 2 or 4 channel will be dictated by whether or not I do rear door speakers or I guess I could do the 4 channel regardless incase I wanted to add rear fill later.

I definitely like the idea of my Jeep being easy to make loud :yahoo: Just the factory system (Infinity Gold factory) gets pretty loud and in all honesty isn't that bad for a factory setup. I just have a bad habit of not leaving things stock for very long.

Edited by JeepBum

in my xj im rockin selenium 6"s in the front doors, those dayton tweets, and an oldschool kenwood 2 chan for the fronts only, the SQ is amazing, and no, dont buy anything MB quart, its all chinese mass produced stuff now, cescendo is good aswell, you need to just see what you want to do tho, but either way, i would put a 2ch on the fronts, or a 4 chan, 2 channels for mids, 2 channels for highs.

24pm3xe.jpg

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

me2 brother both mine and my dads are custom.

Mines xj lifted 3in with 34ltb super swampers, welded rear, custom tube doors, all rustys skids, all new floor, warn winch, warn winch bumper, custom rear.

dads is zj lifted 8.5in custom long arm 36 irok super swampers d44 front d60 rear 4:88 gears and lockers front and rear, custom front tube bumper, smitty 10k winch, custom rear bumper. Single 8in shallow mount on 300 watts, 4 crunch 6.5s and alpine 9847.

Edited by Socky

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

Damn...my WJ is little compared to your Jeeps...its lifted 4" on 32/11.40 R15's. Not a lot done to it really...it's more of a mallcrawler at the moment until I am done school and get a new career rolling. Then when I can afford to get another ride I'll build the WJ in to a trail rig.

Edited by JeepBum