Second Skin Audio

Box for Havoc 15"

Hey all, I'm getting ready to start ordering and I just wanted another opinion on the builld.

I'm doing one 15" AA Havoc in 3.7ish cubes of space after port and subwoofer displacement. Anyone know the actual displacement of the 15"? I read somewhere it's .19ft^3 but it doesn't say on AA's site. Anyway, I was looking at a 4" round flared port that was 5.5" in length, which should tune it to 32Hz. I'm going to power it with an Audioque AQ1200D (1200 watts RMS).

Does everything seem okay? This should be enough airspace for this sub, right? AA calls for 3.0-5.0 cubes, so what, if anything at all might be different by putting it in 4-5 ft^3 of airspace? Anything worth losing the additional trunk space over?

Edited by Maag himself

That is not enough por area at all. You are going to choke that sub of air. I would use atleast 2 if not 3 and then your length needs to increase as well, you'll also lose air space. The small the box you have the more"peaky" it will be. The larger the smoother the response curve. and trunk space with a 15 is not always the best unless your trunk is huge because it takes alot of space up and resrict air space

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

I'm seeing mixed things online about port area. One site said that 4" would be acceptable considering everything else, and another told me I would need around 100sq inches of port which seems totally excessive. That's a difference of 8 times, and the port lengths would probably be longer than my car. Or, for a single port it would be an 11" diameter port which sounds ridiculous. What do you use?

I'm seeing mixed things online about port area. One site said that 4" would be acceptable considering everything else, and another told me I would need around 100sq inches of port which seems totally excessive. That's a difference of 8 times, and the port lengths would probably be longer than my car. Or, for a single port it would be an 11" diameter port which sounds ridiculous. What do you use?

I use a slot port and about 14-16 sq inches of port per cubic foot space is a good general place to start and 4" aero port has only about 12.566 sp inches and with that box is not even 4" of port per cube

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

That is not enough por area at all. You are going to choke that sub of air. I would use atleast 2 if not 3 and then your length needs to increase as well, you'll also lose air space. The small the box you have the more"peaky" it will be. The larger the smoother the response curve. and trunk space with a 15 is not always the best unless your trunk is huge because it takes alot of space up and resrict air space

x2

realistically try 3 4" ports. I did it on my lvl 4 15 in a 3.5 cube box and it loves it and sound magical.

Edited by I like kicker

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

And port length should probably be in the mid 20s for ~35Hz tuning.

Mine were 23inches.....

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

So, I drafted my box out in sketchup

Height - 18", Width - 34", Top Depth - 10", Bottom Depth - 19"

The most space I have in my trunk is a height of 20 inches, and a width of 39 inches. It has the funny slant because of the slant of the rear seats, and so I can use as much airspace as possible. So, it's a little smaller than the space I want to use, or might not even be able to get the box in afterward. It's 3.7 cubes after displacement. I mocked up 3 4" port tubes at 25" each which should have it tuned to 32Hz. They look so big because of the flares. See how the port tubes interfere with the sub? :/

Anyone have any ideas? I don't wanna widen the box because as it is theres only about 5" from the side as it is..

2.png

box1.png

box3.png