Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

Building boxes for 120v audio


Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm deciding to buy another pair of subwoofers like the ones I have for my DJ business (Yamaha SW118V). The only problem is moving around 4 separate 2ft x 2ft x 2ft boxes in and out of gigs is going to be a pain in the ass for me. I'm thinking about building a dual sub box for each pair. One of my friends recommended me to go to speakerplans.com and find a box design, and I've decided on something along the lines of this. What do you guys think? I'll be pumping about 1.2kw a pair anyways, and it seems like it fits perfect for what I need.

POTATO!

Posted

Looks good, but as it says you need another sub for use with house and techno (WTF? is with that?).

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

Posted

using wood such as baltic birch vs mdf will reduce lots of weight, so thats a wise tip upon building new enclosures. most of the pro audio cabinets are usually made with a similar tougher wood like this.

also i know if you search the www.pssl.com website, or maybe even parts express, you will find a wide variety of box hardware to make the issues of moving around larger cabinets easily, such as wheels, recessed handles, plastic corner moldings, and many other things along those lines to protect the cabinets while loading and unloading by yourself, and moving them around.

speaker plans them self is nothing hard.

my main question i would ask myself is "do you feel anything currently lacking from the current cabinets?"

if you think the current cabinets do a great job you could easily just mimic the box design currently used and build something double the size.

I myself am very anal when it comes to someone elses designs, or a sites designs. I want to know what I am building and why I am building it that way. I dont want to use some other persons designs and have massive woofer failure due to the fact they dont have much experience using the said woofer, or because their lack of proper know how.

 

 

Posted

Looks good, but as it says you need another sub for use with house and techno (WTF? is with that?).

I have no idea. I cut my subs off right now at 120 and it does fine for what I need.

using wood such as baltic birch vs mdf will reduce lots of weight, so thats a wise tip upon building new enclosures. most of the pro audio cabinets are usually made with a similar tougher wood like this.

also i know if you search the www.pssl.com website, or maybe even parts express, you will find a wide variety of box hardware to make the issues of moving around larger cabinets easily, such as wheels, recessed handles, plastic corner moldings, and many other things along those lines to protect the cabinets while loading and unloading by yourself, and moving them around.

speaker plans them self is nothing hard.

my main question i would ask myself is "do you feel anything currently lacking from the current cabinets?"

if you think the current cabinets do a great job you could easily just mimic the box design currently used and build something double the size.

I myself am very anal when it comes to someone elses designs, or a sites designs. I want to know what I am building and why I am building it that way. I dont want to use some other persons designs and have massive woofer failure due to the fact they dont have much experience using the said woofer, or because their lack of proper know how.

I don't know exactly what's lacking. Power can be upped a bit, which is why I'm swapping my EP2500 out for a Crown XTi 4000 when I can afford it. I'm not going to demolish the old boxes, because if it does fail at sounding good, then I might go back until I find a better solution, but I figured for now it would be a good test and experience with building pro boxes.

POTATO!

Posted

Yeah, I say go for it. Or get someone who designs horns to design you one of them. That would be the best.

And good choice with the crown amps. xti4000 FTW!

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8972 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...