Second Skin Audio

ported clamshell help/build

irpirate

take off just the two vertical pieces,

hmm, i remember mentioning this would happen a little earlier on.

huhr? i think its too restricted as it is. you had suggested to split the port so 6 at the common port and 3 when they split. and thinking about it now, i think i have to take both off at once, the two pieces are glued and screwed together pretty well. well see how it goes tomorrow!

any ideas/comments/input on 4th order vs ported clam?

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

A thought- totally apart from Neo_frog's Ideas and mine aren't based in anything- so take them for what they are lol:

I get the whole "loading wall" part, but why not try to seal off the sides of the box to the vehicle (help eliminate cancellations to the rear of the car), make the "loading wall" and inside of the loading wall, make a port that goes INTO the horn portion of the clam. That will take up space in the mouth, provide loading to the subs, and give you another means to tune the box (a-la 4th order of sorts).

I am still confused about your "port" pieces. Are they in the back? Like constricting the flow you think?

You definitely have the best idea on here lol. I didn't know he didn't seal it like a wall.

i havent sealed it to the vehicle yet because i wanted to make sure the box performed like i wanted it to before i did anything semi-permanent. i brought up putting a piece of wood in between the subs earlier if thats what you mean by making a port that goes into the the horn.

purple is port pieces

The "wall" will not perform anywhere near it's potential until you seal it off, man. You need to do this first before anything. It's very possible you are losing an extreme amount of air to void air space =\

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

even without it being sealed off shouldn't it still move some air at least? my 4 l7 12's moved alot more air and created alot more pressure than this does without being sealed off.

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

take off just the two vertical pieces,

hmm, i remember mentioning this would happen a little earlier on.

huhr? i think its too restricted as it is. you had suggested to split the port so 6 at the common port and 3 when they split. and thinking about it now, i think i have to take both off at once, the two pieces are glued and screwed together pretty well. well see how it goes tomorrow!

any ideas/comments/input on 4th order vs ported clam?

I said if you want it as a port extension to have it at 3, because if you had it at 6 it would have no affect on the port length but just cause turbulence

ahh, kind of makes sense, as you can tell i don't really have too good of a grasp on enclosures/air movement/soundwaves/car audio lol.

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

alritey, well ill try the port pieces tomorrow. im thinking it has to do with the lack of 45s and angle of the baffles as well. in the end im thinking a new box will need to be made. ill post updates on how it goes. as for new box designs, im not seeing how box design can change much from this one, so i'm looking into 4th orders as well. anyways, thanks for all the help everyone!!! really appreciate you taking your time to help my clueless ass out lol.

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

even without it being sealed off shouldn't it still move some air at least? my 4 l7 12's moved alot more air and created alot more pressure than this does without being sealed off.

Move more air? The terminology is bad. You should say "activate" more air. Just because you activate it, doesn't mean you're moving it. You have to take compressibility factors into account when you're dealing with moving air in radical compression chambers (i.e. your port "area"). If you're not sealed everywhere, you have more void air space, and therefore have much less air movement

Sorry if this sounds silly at all or incomplete. I've had quite a few brews and I'm pretty fucking eff'd.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Move more air? The terminology is bad. You should say "activate" more air. Just because you activate it, doesn't mean you're moving it. You have to take compressibility factors into account when you're dealing with moving air in radical compression chambers (i.e. your port "area"). If you're not sealed everywhere, you have more void air space, and therefore have much less air movement

Sorry if this sounds silly at all or incomplete. I've had quite a few brews and I'm pretty fucking eff'd.

1st section - reaction = o.O wahh? more air to compress = less movement? more or less? kinda?

2nd - lol, that actually cheered me up a bit/lightened my mood, got a chuckle out of it ^_^

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

Archived