Second Skin Audio

ported clamshell help/build

irpirate

This is why I generally design first then buy the woofers, saves you headaches.....

lol probably a good idea. i got a bit too eager with wanting to do a clam with bunches of subs :pardon:

ok so i now i know i can fit the subs on the face, only thing i hafta figure out before i start building is the port length. how long do i need to make each of the split ports? im guessing from my design the tuning is gonna drop quite a bit. so if i go with the port lengths i have in the pic above. 5 inches in middle, 6 inches split off on each side. calculating a port length of 11 (probably not right cuz im guessing the splitting the port into two sides will change the tuning) it will give me a tuning of 35-36. im thinking this should be low enough with the long ass clam.

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

if you cut holes that close together all the way across the damn thing its gonna have practically no support and be hard to brace.

crappy :/ ill try and space it out a bit then. also the subs arent level 5 800 pound subs or anything like that, think theyre around 16-17 pounds each. regardless though, if i do spread them out a bit i think i should be able to fit four thread rods around the middle.

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

I would use 1 1/4 diameter dowel wood like in my wall build log. Treaded rod is not necessary unless you already have it.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

I would use 1 1/4 diameter dowel wood like in my wall build log. Treaded rod is not necessary unless you already have it.

alrite, ill do that then. already read through your log and know what youre talking about :)

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

added some port. changed the calculation to three common walls.

73912_1534734806554_1180320105_31269627_6339090_n.jpg

148789_1534734646550_1180320105_31269626_1596875_n.jpg

the beginning of the port goes for five inches. the split goes around 6.5 for each side. 6 inches away from the wall for both. im not sure how splitting the port changes the tuning. any ideas?

*edit - with this box ill only get around 1 cube per sub :( maybe ill switch the amp from a 3500 to a 4500 and juice them a bit more if this is what i do and i dont feel like its performing like it should. also, the widest part of the clam/opening is 14 inches tall.

If you are splitting the port like that to add length, and your port width is 5 inches, you need to only be 2.5 inches way from the back wall with it or it wont act as a port.

If you are splitting the port like that to add length, and your port width is 5 inches, you need to only be 2.5 inches way from the back wall with it or it wont act as a port.

Explain.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

thats what i thought at first as well, no experience just the logic of it. cuz if the port width is 6 inches for both chambers when i split it and leave it at 6 for each that means the port area will be changing halfway through the port, which seems like it would change the tuning. thing is colin specifically said that 3.5 inches would be way too close. his was 4.5 or 5 away with less subs and a smaller box. should i leave it at 6 inches throughout or change it to maybe 5 when the port splits?

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

another question, will i need to put something in the middle of the port against the back wall to angle and separate where the ports for the two chamber come together?

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

3.5" would be too close for the Entire port (what with your number of subs and total volume). With it like that, it shouldn't matter. Like has been said by someone on here already- whatever the closest distance the two baffles are together, that should be the distance from the back of the box. I get what you are saying about going Half of that for each (top only needs half, bottom needs half- together they make the distance between the baffles).

I dunno- tough call. The closer you make it, the more it chokes it up and the lower the tune. What with the constraints that the angles are going to put on the design anyway- I don't think you will be able to make the "port" too big.

Remember, the subs play off of each other, lowering the tune. In the back where the "port" is and where the air comes from the top part and bottom part of the enclosure- as the air meets there, it will naturally slow as it fights for a way out. I don't think you will have an issue with the box being "tuned" too high.

Just me thinking- you don't need the port extensions (parts that go up and down following the back of the box). But you are deeper into the calculations than I am- I am just wet finger in the air. Just KNOW that it will tune lower than any box building or box tune program will tell you. Just how much... :shrug:

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

another question, will i need to put something in the middle of the port against the back wall to angle and separate where the ports for the two chamber come together?

You could... I saw a write up once on someone who tested this with this type of "loaded" enclosure. They did it with nothing between, a small "v", and a larger "v" (presumably to help air flow). It was the loudest with nothing in there. Bigger the "v", the lower the SPL. I know that was his box and not yours- just saying. I would do it if it makes you happy- I intended to make one for mine and did not. I haven't noticed it as not being there. B)

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Archived