how to wire second alternator HELP ASAP PLEASE

hey guys. rather new to the forum, i read as much as possible but got my new alternator in today and want to make sure im doin it right.

i have an 04 silverado supercrew cab, a dual alternator bracket from dc, and a stock alternator and a mechman 270 with a yellowtop starting under the hood and a xs d3100 in the cab. i just turned 18, this is my first truck, and first real time installing my own stuff. thr bracket and both alternators are installed as well as the belt. i was told the second alternator would be grounded by the bracket but i dont think it works that way. and i was told to run a negative wire from the mechman alternator to the negative post of the xs. but that just seems inefficient. can i just ground the alternator to the frame? or does it need to go to the back battery?

any and all help is super appreciated. i am a quick learner and just need some pointers. thanks guys

if DC told you the alt will ground itself through the bracket (which is attached to the engine), then i would be inclined to believe them. they wont give you wrong information.

it wasnt dc. i honestly didnt think about grounding the alternators and just bought the bracket on my own, saved up some more and then bought a mechman alternator. a local shop wanted to charge me $1750 for a dual alternator bracket, two 220 stinger alternators installed. i thought that was rediculous so i decided to learn myself. i was told by the shop that the alternators would be grounded by the bracket, but when i installed it, theres nothing coming out of the alternator. a friend checked the wires and says power is going to the alternator, but nothing is coming out.

and someone else on here i was messaging from the mechman section said it needed its own ground because of the internal regulator. not sure what that is, but the alternator did come with two posts for wiring already setup. so im assuming...it does need two wires?

Guest DC Power Kyle

The alternator case it the actual grounding point of an alternator. If you dmm the Case with a negative lead and a positive lead on the positive you'll get voltage.

The alternator case it the actual grounding point of an alternator. If you dmm the Case with a negative lead and a positive lead on the positive you'll get voltage.

so you mean the alternator should actually be grounded then? im calling it a night, but will start work again on it tomorrow morning. thanks alot guys. im just trying to learn as much as possible

when you bolt the alt up to the engine, thats the ground

the big ass bolt that bolts to the engine

the grounding point on the alt is that part....

you dont NEED to wire any ground part to it... its bolted to the GROUND spot on the engine

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

when you bolt the alt up to the engine, thats the ground

the big ass bolt that bolts to the engine

the grounding point on the alt is that part....

you dont NEED to wire any ground part to it... its bolted to the GROUND spot on the engine

ok, but when i installed the alternator, its not bolted to the engine. its bolted to the bracket....or does the brackets bolt to the engine ground both alternators?

ok, but when i installed the alternator, its not bolted to the engine. its bolted to the bracket....or does the brackets bolt to the engine ground both alternators?

Yes

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4