Reeeally really old Compaq (print svr project)

Alright, so I have a really old Compaq Presario (can't find model) with an AMD-K6 3D Processor (don't know clock speed) and 184MB of RAM. It's got a 20 GB HDD and some sort of SiS video card with 8 MB of video memory. I would like to utilize this computer as a print server. Since my printer can't be networked directly (no Ethernet port on the back), I have to run it through a comp first. I'd like to network the Compaq, and run the printer through it so that I can print from anywhere in the house.

Anyways, Windows 98 is shit, and I'm wondering if there's any older version of Ubuntu or the Linux GUI family that I could install on the Compaq just to use as a print server.

Thanks in advance

-Alex

Ubuntu server is your best bet. Its command line based (no GUI think DOS), that can run on that system without issue since its low overhead on the system. You can use Webmin to administer the server if your intimidated by command line.

http://www.ubuntu.com/server

http://www.webmin.com/

How webmin works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrraRReECRg

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

DC Sound Lab Level 4 18's with Level 5 coils

Autotek Mean Machine 400.1D (replaced)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

Ubuntu server is your best bet. Its command line based (no GUI think DOS), that can run on that system without issue since its low overhead on the system. You can use Webmin to administer the server if your intimidated by command line.

Thanks a lot!! But then how would I go about networking a printer through the server OS? I know my fair share about hardware and regular OS's, but I'm completely new to servers and what not.

CUPS for the printer setup. SAMBA if you want to have a NTFS file server that can be recognized by a windows machine. If you decide to go with the Ubuntu server I would highly suggest setting up the Webmin access. Its a lot easier to then setup the print spooler and network sharing through Webmin than with the command lines.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

DC Sound Lab Level 4 18's with Level 5 coils

Autotek Mean Machine 400.1D (replaced)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

CUPS for the printer setup. SAMBA if you want to have a NTFS file server that can be recognized by a windows machine. If you decide to go with the Ubuntu server I would highly suggest setting up the Webmin access. Its a lot easier to then setup the print spooler and network sharing through Webmin than with the command lines.

Alrighty. Thanks!! As I just said, today should be a fun day.