Sonic Electronix

So the idea is to have a smaller box if your over powering the sub and a bigger box if your under powering the sub?

Also what is the main point of gains on the amp?

Edited by Winn

You know how you avoid that? Man the fuck up and bang her best friend sister mom cousin worst enemy and never look back.

JUST SAY ANTI-AUDIOPIPE

u said overpowering twice... i don't get it.. and setting gains on an amp is to adjust it in cadence with the head unit to make proper power at a certain... VOLTAGE ?? AMPERAGE ?? AMPS ?? something like that..

Sorry lol i fixed it i meant to say underpower

You know how you avoid that? Man the fuck up and bang her best friend sister mom cousin worst enemy and never look back.

JUST SAY ANTI-AUDIOPIPE

So the idea is to have a smaller box if your over powering the sub and a bigger box if your over powering the sub?

The idea is to match the box requirement to your subs specs. You can adjust the box size to accommodate how much power you have. If you are overpowering them, a smaller box would be helpful. If you are underpowering them, a larger box is helpful.

The main point (and really only for almost all circumstances) of gains on an amp is to match the input voltage of the amp with the voltage of the input signal.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

So the idea is to have a smaller box if your over powering the sub and a bigger box if your over powering the sub?

The idea is to match the box requirement to your subs specs. You can adjust the box size to accommodate how much power you have. If you are overpowering them, a smaller box would be helpful. If you are underpowering them, a larger box is helpful.

The main point (and really only for almost all circumstances) of gains on an amp is to match the input voltage of the amp with the voltage of the input signal.

Alright that cleared up the first part cuz im probably going to over power my subs for my next build but still need to fully figure out the gains. Basically it matching the volts of the headunit with the amp? im guessing

JUST SAY ANTI-AUDIOPIPE

Alright that cleared up the first part cuz im probably going to over power my subs for my next build but still need to fully figure out the gains. Basically it matching the volts of the headunit with the amp? im guessing

uh... no.

its sorta like... head unit + amp = a certain voltage which depending on what ohm you have it wired to will determine your wattage.. "pending on if the amp is clipping, box rise, etc."

uh... no.

its sorta like... head unit + amp = a certain voltage which depending on what ohm you have it wired to will determine your wattage.. "pending on if the amp is clipping, box rise, etc."

Uh Dont hate me lol but what is box rise? and how would you do "head unit + amp"??

JUST SAY ANTI-AUDIOPIPE

http://www.stevemead...-chart-updated/

KABOOM !

say for instance you have a pretty good higher end model head unit that has 8v outputs... you have to adjust the amp to make up the amount to acheve what ever that chart accounts for...

http://mobile.jlaudi...php?page_id=143

Blammo !

Edited by Coolwazabi

oh and...

when you talk about a sub being 4 ohms, that's a nominal or "average" impedance. The DCR or DC resistance of that usb is actually about 3.6 ohms at rest.

A speaker is a reactive load. You're sending current through a coil of wire when producing sound with a

speaker

, and this generates inductance. As a result, the impedance of the speaker will vary with the frequency of the alternating current going through it's coil (the frequency of the sound you're playing.)

The box also has an effect on this change in impedance, and the rise in impedance as you approach the Fs of the driver and enclosure is directly proportional to the efficiency. (weird but that's how it works.. balances out in a sense.) but to answer your question, yes you can load match an amp and sub combination with the enclosure you use and the box's tuning frequency to get the most power from the amp at a certain frequency range for SPL events, and that combination may not be what would sound like an ideal match under normal circumstances.

I've seen people run amps at 1 or .3 ohms with big subs (nominal) to get ideal load at their burping frequency because the math worked out that way.

The trick is how long you plan to run the system at those loads.

quoted from someone.. read most of it.. sounds good to me.. :D