Sonic Electronix

So the idea is to have a smaller box if your over powering the sub and a bigger box if your over powering the sub?

Also what is the main point of gains on the amp?

The idea is to match the box requirement to your subs specs. You can adjust the box size to accommodate how much power you have. If you are overpowering them, a smaller box would be helpful. If you are underpowering them, a larger box is helpful.

The main point (and really only for almost all circumstances) of gains on an amp is to match the input voltage of the amp with the voltage of the input signal.

Alright that cleared up the first part cuz im probably going to over power my subs for my next build but still need to fully figure out the gains. Basically it matching the volts of the headunit with the amp? im guessing

The output voltage of your amp is tied to the input voltage. Your amp amplifies the input signal. The higher the voltage going into the amp, the higher the voltage going out of the amp. Your amp however is only made to output so much voltage (the max RMS wattage) so to keep an amp from trying to output more than it can keep up with, the amp has a gain setting that basically adjusts the input voltage so the amp is outputting the correct voltage.

in other words (and this is NOT AT ALL THE CORRECT FORMULA, but it gives you the idea)

say your amp is 500RMS max.

(PRETEND) the equation is maxRMS=input voltage * 100 (MR=IV*100)

if your input voltage is 50 then you have 50*100 or 5000 watts RMS. Your amp can NOT HANDLE this so you turn the gain down so your amp is seeing and input voltage of 5 which would give you 5*100.

Now please don't think it is THAT simple. There are a billion million, trillion more variables and correct equations that go with this. Maybe this will give you an idea of what the gain does though.

Please don't go tell people you now know HOW a gain/amp works. I made up all of the math you see because it isn't the real math and it doesn't include a HUGE amount of amp components. This is just a way to help you understand what a gain does.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Maybe... So basically the Gain setting tells the amp the right input voltage so that it wont exceed a certain RMS rating or will stay in that range. So the higher the gain is the more power maybe?

So you could totally fuck up your amp if you odnt know how to set the gains?

You know how you avoid that? Man the fuck up and bang her best friend sister mom cousin worst enemy and never look back.

JUST SAY ANTI-AUDIOPIPE

Maybe... So basically the Gain setting tells the amp the right input voltage so that it wont exceed a certain RMS rating or will stay in that range. So the higher the gain is the more power maybe?

Yes. that is it. Well, you could also really mess up speakers as well.

as someone said, ignore impedance rise. Unless your are building a fart box that plays a single frequency. :)

Edited by shkibbybop

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

yep... gotta set it right.. thats why reputable amps are more popular.. cause they put of the RMS + more... a lil cushion i guess

So you just use torres RMS chart. and then you turn the gain up until it hits the right output voltage?

You know how you avoid that? Man the fuck up and bang her best friend sister mom cousin worst enemy and never look back.

JUST SAY ANTI-AUDIOPIPE

So you just use torres RMS chart. and then you turn the gain up until it hits the right output voltage?

its a quick simple way to do it yet... but.. if the amp can't do the power or is clipping your not gonna know until it too late.. BURNIN !!! smelly... aww crap... fried

Okay well i guess im going to set my gains now :) or try to lol but if i have a 250 watt mono amp at 2 ohms and i just look at the chart and then use the AC meter to put it to the right Output voltage? what if i put the gain down lower at a lower output?

JUST SAY ANTI-AUDIOPIPE

its a quick simple way to do it yet... but.. if the amp can't do the power or is clipping your not gonna know until it too late.. BURNIN !!! smelly... aww crap... fried

Okay well i guess im going to set my gains now :) or try to lol but if i have a 250 watt mono amp at 2 ohms and i just look at the chart and then use the AC meter to put it to the right Output voltage? what if i put the gain down lower at a lower output?

Then you will be getting less than 250 watts from your amp. what amp btw?

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Then you will be getting less than 250 watts from your amp. what amp btw?

RF Prime R250 BTW SUB P3 Shallow 10

JUST SAY ANTI-AUDIOPIPE