Ok, long story short, i was trying to reset my check engine light yesterday so my car could hopefully pass smog. I disconnected the negative terminal and let the car reset. That didnt work. So my dad took a paper clip, and jumped two prongs insider of the diagnosis box, the light went off, but when i went to start my car, it didnt fire. It turns over, i'm just not getting a spark from the plugs. and before any of you ask, its not a battery problem, and the car was fine before he jumped the two prongs. anyone here a mechanic? :(

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

Jumping the 2 pins on the diagnostic terminal is only for in my knowledge cars that are older and you can't use a diagnostic tool.

I never heard of doing that to clear the check engine code.

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

take your dash apart, put electrical tape over the light, assemble dash.

as for the jumper... is it still in there?

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

He's jumped two pins before to clear it, but i dont think he jumped the right pins.

Which fuses could affect the car not starting? i could only think that we blew the ecu fuse or the whole ecu for that matter.

@skittles, no we removed the jumper.

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

If you decide that you have what you need to disconnect the battery and would like to reset the check engine light by doing so, there are a few more tips that I can provide.

Most vehicles from 1996 and newer have a stay alive memory built-in to the computer system. When you disconnect the battery from the vehicle to reset the check engine light. The computer will be able to hold the memory and the code for several minutes and in some cases several hours.

Battery voltage is stored in a capacitor and is supplied to the computer to keep the memory alive. The way around this is to disconnect the battery and then hold down on the horn button.

Found that and all I can think of is to check ALL the fuses to make sure.

What kind of car is it?

Edited by Rebel4055

Rest In Peace mother.

I tried looking for the terminal pinout online but I can't seem to find it... Will keep trying. Lets hope he didn't cross the wrong pins.

Stupid question but did the service engine light go off?

Rest In Peace mother.

I know I'm late to the party but I think you can just use a code puller to pull the code and it clears it for awhile at least. My check engine light was on my 2002 VW Jetta and would not go away even though nothing was wrong with the car. I used a code puller to clear everything and drove that bitch to the dealership to trade that POS in.