question about dc power 270xp

so i have a dc power 270 xp for my 4runner. underhood i have a xs power d3100. big 3 is done in 3/0 welding. two runs of 3/0 (1 pos 1 neg) around 10-12 feet each to two more d3100s in the back. all terminals have the shiny crap sanded off. area i grounded to is sanded/grinded down really well and i used a self tapping screw to bolt those down (1 run of 3/0 one of 1/0). i have 16 12's. 300 rms each, amp is a sundown 3500 at .5. mids and highs amp isnt even in right now. while revving the engine or driving, if i try and play completely full tilt, i still have some pretty bad voltage drops. big hits will drop it down a bit below 13. long extended bass notes will keep it there. at that point i always ease off the volume. at idle i cant even play close to full tilt, maybe 3/4 at most. i have a little cigarette lighter socket meter to keep an eye on my voltage. i know its better to have the reading on the back batteries, but i just need an idea of when my voltage is dropping.

my question is how come i see other people running equal or more rms than me not having any voltage drops full tilt, even at idle? granted my car (2002 4runner) idles at roughly 600 engine rpm (was told by robbie at dc power alternator rpm would be around 1900) but still i don't think there should be that much of a difference between mine and theirs. i just saw a thread asking about alts for honda civics. Alex K said with a 270xp he stayed at 13.8-14.1 full tilt with two sundown 3000's @ .5. said he had 4 bats, didn't specify which ones though.

when musics not playing battery sits at 14.7. i'm happy with the alternator, just after seeing what other people are saying about theirs it just makes me wonder....

wuzzzz goinnn onnnn??? :(

thanks all!

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

I dont think dropping a lil below 13 is too bad of a voltage drop. If your dropping into the 11's then you got a problem. But hopefully one of the more experienced guys will answer this for ya. Good luck.

RF_728x090_caraudiofanatics-1.jpg

xs-1.jpg

logo-1.png

1991 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

DC Power 270 Amp Alt

Big 3

Kicker/KnuKonceptz 0 Gauge Power wire

XS Power D6500

XS Power D3100

Pioneer Headunit

JBL Mids and Highs

Rockford Fosgate 400.4

3 Sundown Audio SA-10's wired @ .67 ohms

American Bass 150.1

i never give it the chance to go into the 11's. anytime it hits 12.xx i turn the volume down.

found this one the ssa forum - dc power rob

If your Charger is a 5.7, they'll peak over 200 at idle, but they will do 170-180 at idle, with no trouble at all, continuous.. The XP's on late model '08+ Charger's/Challenger's etc are just ruthless at idle.. We have one local customer that we did a 270 in that although we couldn't clamp it to see what it actually did (no room behind the alt), it would run 4k watts, at idle, at 14.6-14.7v, and the customer damn near smoked 3 amps from running it full tilt at idle for about 45 minutes.. He had never been able to actually enjoy his system so when he finally did, he just railed on it and wouldn't let up. It was classic.. Kyle has a video somewhere of the voltmeter on it, but we never uploaded it anywhere because we couldn't clamp it.. :coolugh:

yes its a different car but still, unless it idles at 2k engine rpm i dont see how it can do that. maybe ill just email dc power :/

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

Not saying this is definitely your problem, but lose that self tapping screw. Use a nut and bolt to hold your grounds down.

is that the best way to do it? i was under the impression that the self tapping screw was for some reason. i dont think i can get access to the back side of the ground though lol. the two terminals are stack on top of each other. would it help if i laid them side by side instead and used two screws to keep them down? more surface area? im pretty sure my ground is good, the terminal i used is really wide around the ring, the things connected really well, doesn't budge at all. if i can get some people to tell me the two screw idea is a good thing ill definitely give that a shot.

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

I'm going to assume that since you are using a self tapping screw, you are not going in to the thicker frame metal and are just using the thinner chassis metal. IF that is the case, it may seem tight when you first put it in, but it will not stay that way.

For the grounds in my car, I drilled holes in the actual frame, tapped them and used bolts with lock washers. I check them to make sure they are tight from time to time and they haven't moved yet. But you need something thick enough if you are not going to use a nut on the backside.

I mean think about it. You spent all that money on a DC Power alternator, the welding cable, XS Power batteries and you are going to use a self tapping screw to tie it all together?

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

Guest DC Power Kyle

And just to let you know I was running a saz-3500d at a half ohm and was dropping to 15 to 14.4 for the entire song full tilt. This was with. 270xp as well.

Don't do the two screw idea keep them on the same stud and if the screw is tight then u are fine. Just grab the cable and try to move the terminal if you can't then it is fine.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

In class now, ill give you a call in 2 hours or so.

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

Archived