Second Skin Audio

center slot port

This type of ported enclosure is giving me a headache to design, yes i know i am a noob but i have to learn somehow, seems i cant find answer to the questions i have, anywhere.

First of i downloaded the tuning calculator on here, entered the dimensions and port size and lengths to obtain my desired frequency tune. But i want the slot port in the center between both subs, and that's where i got confused.

Like the calculator says i need to bend the port inside of the box. I have seen in pictures that you need to bend the port to either sides in center slot ports, what i want to know is how to obtain that length?

Example: if i have a total port length of 28" and i have to bend the port at 23", that bent portion should be 5" in length right. So in the center slot the bent portions on either side would be 5", but that does not make sense to me because it would take up more space in the box, which would change tuning. I also thought of dividing that bent portion 5"/2= 2.5" thus making the length to either side 2.5", this made more sense to me but i am not sure, or am i completely off, can anyone elaborate on this?

ok. so if i understand what your asking right. u would take the over all port with and divide by 2 and then that would be how far the port needs to be from the back wall i do believe. some1 correct me if im wrong. ....

so if ur port is 4" wide and your box is 20" deep and the port needs to be 28" long you would want your first port wall to be 16.5" and the second (the part that would run along the back wall) would be 11.5". and 2" away from the back

Edited by jake1993

Jacob Sigmund

1 dc level 4 m1 18

1 audiopipe ap1500

2 runs of knu 1/0

jake1993sig.jpg

Alex Bennington" <[email protected] ^^^ want one one email this guy he will hook you up!

ok. so if i understand what your asking right. u would take the over all port with and divide by 2 and then that would be how far the port needs to be from the back wall i do believe. some1 correct me if im wrong. ....

so if ur port is 4" wide and your box is 20" deep and the port needs to be 28" long you would want your first port wall to be 16.5" and the second (the part that would run along the back wall) would be 11.5". and 2" away from the back

I am no sure what you mean rephrase if possible?

i am thinking of making a box 35wx17hx20d port: 4wx15.5h tuned@ 36hz with port length 23". that's what the box calculator i downloaded on this website gave me.

youre going to calculate the port length and width in the calculator and where you "split" it you want to use half the width into each chamber. be sure to put 45s against the back wall where the port splits to keep port width correct. you can see the picture how the port is half the size going into the chambers. at this point i havent added the 45 though. should look like a pyramid | /\ | like this

like this:

100_1069.jpg

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

the split port should be have the width of the single port and you should keep that width the whole time so if the main one is 8 the port should spilt so its 4 inches back from the wall and the little "pyramid" isn't nessacary at all and can sometimes lower score i've seen ppl's test this thought

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

the split port should be have the width of the single port and you should keep that width the whole time so if the main one is 8 the port should spilt so its 4 inches back from the wall and the little "pyramid" isn't nessacary at all and can sometimes lower score i've seen ppl's test this thought

i always thought that putting in the 45s would help direct the air flow and keep the subs from loading eachother. i havent tested it so i wouldnt know for sure. im not challenging what you said. it sounds like youre more experienced with this design

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

Each chamber will get a port that is half the width of the combined port area. your length doesnt change.

Custom Sounds NW takes your ideas and turns them into your reality.

Custom enclosures, consultations, service and installation of mobile electronics and home theater equipment.

References available!

My FB Page

Two fully loaded fi SSD18's + Soundstream Rubicon RUB1.2500D wired to .5 ohm for 3600 RMS = Bass for your face!