Cant log on to SMD or another website?

i got my webhost lookin into it.....lets see what he says. Sorry guys, i dont understand why theres a problem...my shit works good on this end and about 6 other computers i have access to as well.

Two things...

1) It's either ThePlanet's DDOS protection kicking in (when I used it in the past it took months for it to learn my traffic)

2) It's a firewall package or an anti DOS package within Apache (or IIS or whatever you're running) that the server is running and the criteria for an attack is set too low. If you have DDOS protect from ThePlanet you don't need to protect Webserver from DDOS. A couple of my servers took on over 5gb/s worth of traffic on a 10mb link and TP mitigated all of it without a hitch (5gb/s was insane in early 00).

Setting up protection on the server itself against DDOS is a waste of time. If it's a trip for a DOS attack it should be triggered in the hundreds of connections. 40-120 connections or so is nothing, worry starts in the thousands. Now days DOS attacks hit specific vulnerabilities within the hosted software (this case IP Board) so even with those protections in place if there is code that isn't optimized only a few targeted connections can bring the site to its knees.

I was one of the banned ones, but disco now obviously (luckily I have a couple VPNs I can use).

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up. I ran servers at ThePlanet for 4 or 5 years (Rackshack before that and Rackspace before that).

If I had to guess I bet it has something to do with either the ads at the top of the pages or the auto refreshing top area of the forum. All of us that have been banned are more than likely leaving tabs open or have multiple browser instance open. My guess anyways...

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Archived