Sonic Electronix

here is the power supply i will probably be using, http://www.frys.com/product/6366531?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG, but i built my box on google sketchup but i dont know how to add the file on here... if you want to see it tell me how and ill post it.. but do you think that PS would power an amp? im not planning on using one but maybe in the future... 8)

That may not even be able to power a HU properly. You'd probably want 6A for the HU to run it with enough headroom. The PSU I've been using on the 50.4 has dual 35A (or 30A) rails. So you would definitely not be able to run a amp off that PSU.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

here is the power supply i will probably be using, http://www.frys.com/product/6366531?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG, but i built my box on google sketchup but i dont know how to add the file on here... if you want to see it tell me how and ill post it.. but do you think that PS would power an amp? im not planning on using one but maybe in the future... 8)

lololololol 3.5 amps? good luck with dropping voltage on a headunit. you will practically use ALL the power from that thing just to use the headunit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

says on all the 12v+ rails, it can support 354 watts. so this will be fine with a headunit and a small amplifier, by small i mean like 200w.

edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159101 this one can support 800w on the 12 volt rails.

Edited by Kranny

What is with you people and using PSUs with 3.3v, 5v and -12v rails? You only need one with 12v rails, not the extra ones that would be used in a computer. Besides, I think that the PSUs work at their best when the either the 3.3v or 5v rails have a load on then, I can't remember which one it is.

A PSU with only 12v outputs may cost more, but it will work better, and won't be as much of a pain to wire up.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

well im on a budget here also... i would like to only spend like $50 bucks on a power supply. and i really dont plan on using an amp and its only 4 speakers. well actually 6 speakers cuz we have 2 outside speakers i will hook into it also. the HU is 200 watts max. 50x4. so what would work for that in my price range?

well im on a budget here also... i would like to only spend like $50 bucks on a power supply. and i really dont plan on using an amp and its only 4 speakers. well actually 6 speakers cuz we have 2 outside speakers i will hook into it also. the HU is 200 watts max. 50x4. so what would work for that in my price range?

Erk, you should be able to get something for that much, if you want a real nice piece of equipment for that much you might have to go secondhand. So that is only 20 watts RMS or so per channel, that could work with maybe 8A or so.

You could probably sell the HU and buy a nice home audio amp. It doesn't have to be anything new, just search for some Technics or something older like that on eBay.

Edited by bassl0va

i was thinking about something like that but like i said its for my garage and i actually work out of it so shit gets dirty and dusty and stuff. i figure if i just had some cheaper simple equipment it would be easier to just replace if i needed to. but ill look into different cpu PSUs. i cant wait to get started i just want to wait till its warmer, its like average 15-20 degrees right now. but yea ill look into 8A and what watts should the psu be? just whatever i will be running?

hal.dll is the dll support file found in many types of Windows operating systems. The hal.dll file plays an important role for the programs which require hal.dll in order to function properly.

am i missing something??

What is with you people and using PSUs with 3.3v, 5v and -12v rails? You only need one with 12v rails, not the extra ones that would be used in a computer. Besides, I think that the PSUs work at their best when the either the 3.3v or 5v rails have a load on then, I can't remember which one it is.

A PSU with only 12v outputs may cost more, but it will work better, and won't be as much of a pain to wire up.

uhh...just use the freaking yellow wires. +12v. nuff said.

i was thinking about something like that but like i said its for my garage and i actually work out of it so shit gets dirty and dusty and stuff. i figure if i just had some cheaper simple equipment it would be easier to just replace if i needed to. but ill look into different cpu PSUs. i cant wait to get started i just want to wait till its warmer, its like average 15-20 degrees right now. but yea ill look into 8A and what watts should the psu be? just whatever i will be running?

Just look at the specs for the +12v rails. Make sure if it has multiple ones that the identical ones add up to 8A or greater, as it is not really ideal to link two unmatched rails together. I'd say 8A minimum, you should be able to easily get more than that.

Don't worry about watts, they are normally rated for the total of the PSU, not the 12v rail output. I said 8A because that's about 20watts per channel minus efficiency.