Dual alt question

I know there are a bunch of different topics on this already. But here is my question, on my dc power dual alt kit it says connect each alt to different batteries. Is this the best way? I have seen them hooked up a bunch of different ways. Both hooked up to one batt, alts hooked together then to the batt, alts hooked to seperate batts. I have two batteries under my hood so it's not a big problem to hook them up separately. But I was wondering which is the best way?

3d7304fe.jpg

techforce_teamdbs.gif

They just say that so people don't go running a wire from alt to alt and then to the batt. I would run each alt to where ever was easiest (not alt to alt though obviously because then you would be trying to cram all those amps down 1 run and that won't fly)...

EDIT: That's assuming you didn't get some dual alt setup to do 16v-18v on the secondary in which case it would have to be isolated.

Edited by UnderLoK

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

I know there are a bunch of different topics on this already. But here is my question, on my dc power dual alt kit it says connect each alt to different batteries. Is this the best way? I have seen them hooked up a bunch of different ways. Both hooked up to one batt, alts hooked together then to the batt, alts hooked to seperate batts. I have two batteries under my hood so it's not a big problem to hook them up separately. But I was wondering which is the best way?

unless you are running 2 charging systems or an isolator, it should all be connected anyway. To get into specifics on how to wire your particular set up, we would have to know lots more info about your setup. How many batteries, where they are, and so on.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

They just say that so people don't go running a wire from alt to alt and then to the batt. I would run each alt to where ever was easiest (not alt to alt though obviously because then you would be trying to cram all those amps down 1 run and that won't fly)...

EDIT: That's assuming you didn't get some dual alt setup to do 16v-18v on the secondary in which case it would have to be isolated.

No 16-18v here

3d7304fe.jpg

techforce_teamdbs.gif

unless you are running 2 charging systems or an isolator, it should all be connected anyway. To get into specifics on how to wire your particular set up, we would have to know lots more info about your setup. How many batteries, where they are, and so on.

Two alts, one stock and one 270 sp dc power alt, two d3400 batts under the hood, two d680's in the back.

3d7304fe.jpg

techforce_teamdbs.gif

Two alts, one stock and one 270 sp dc power alt, two d3400 batts under the hood, two d680's in the back.

Also if I connect them to seperate batteries, do I connect the stock alt to the battery in the stock location and the 270 to the second battery? Or the 270 to the stock battery and the stock alt to the second batt?

This is what I would do.

Connect both batteries in the back together (+ to + and - to -)

Connect back batteries to a single front battery with however many runs of 0g you think you need

Connect both front batteries together

The end result should be something that has all batteries in your car connected to a single battery up front. I do realize that they are all connected together but for me, this would make the wiring easier.

I would then connect EACH alt to one of the batteries up front. 2 alts, 2 connections, either battery. you can run both alts to on battery, or each alt to one of the batteries up front. Doesn't matter. What does matter is that each alt gets its own wire to a battery.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Also if I connect them to seperate batteries, do I connect the stock alt to the battery in the stock location and the 270 to the second battery? Or the 270 to the stock battery and the stock alt to the second batt?

This is what I would do.

Connect both batteries in the back together (+ to + and - to -)

Connect back batteries to a single front battery with however many runs of 0g you think you need

Connect both front batteries together

The end result should be something that has all batteries in your car connected to a single battery up front. I do realize that they are all connected together but for me, this would make the wiring easier.

I would then connect EACH alt to one of the batteries up front. 2 alts, 2 connections, either battery. you can run both alts to on battery, or each alt to one of the batteries up front. Doesn't matter. What does matter is that each alt gets its own wire to a battery.

Thank you!

3d7304fe.jpg

techforce_teamdbs.gif