new hardrive need help

k so i just put in a new hardrive in my laptop put windows vista basic on there and now that everythings up and running when i look at the hdd threw my computer it only registers that the hdd is 299max the actuall size is 320. now i did the same thing with the older hdd wich before in my computer would have the full 160 now it only says it has 140. my dads saying this is becouse the hdd was partitioned now my question is how do i delete all the partitions on my new 320 so i can use the full 320

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

Hard drives never have a usable space they are labeled as. Formatting and OS are the reasons. For anything this goes for. My iPhone. 32gb but only 29gb usable. My PS3 320gb only 289 usable. My computer 750gb only 718gb usable.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

you can delete the partitions, but that would be counteractive to what you want to do. your windows is a partition, and in vista and windows 7 there is a recovery partition that you cant touch. your missing space is because of that recovery partition. and i would suggest leaving that on. so that if you get to a point where you have to do a system recovery, you can.

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

its not the os thats in the missing partition becouse when i put vista on there before i did anything it only said i had 299 usable now the hardrive was already formated and i had yet to put anything on there nor was there anything on there from the previos owner.now after formating the hardrive 2 more times same thing once i installed the os it says i have 280free of the 299 now thats an est but it was around that that part was the os so the other 20 gig missing cant be the os that im using atm

basicaly what i wana do is delete the partition then re install the os so that way i can use the full 320 or atleast 310 with the os on there

Edited by hifonics10

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

as far as not having the usuable space becouse of the os my other hdd would still read 160 with the os my computer wont even read that the hdd is 320 when i look at it threw my computer

as stated already, HDs are partitioned for system and recovery files, plus i recommend getting rid of vista and going windows 7 as soon as its an option, just cause windows 7 is one of the few things windows actually got right

plus the way harddrives are actually measured and actually made are a bit different, majority of manufacturers do not give you 1024 megabytes for every 1 gig, its more like 1000 to save on some space and cut some corners, so if you have a 320 gb harddrive, theres a good chance that based on the above logic your actual space could be only 7.68 gigs less than it really says it is (24*320=7680) (divide by 1000 and get 7.680) then add in the recovery and system partitions (most factory set computers put OS in its own partition and recovery features in its own partition, OS normally takes less than 10gb and recovery likewise)

its not the os thats in the missing partition becouse when i put vista on there before i did anything it only said i had 299 usable now the hardrive was already formated and i had yet to put anything on there nor was there anything on there from the previos owner.now after formating the hardrive 2 more times same thing once i installed the os it says i have 280free of the 299 now thats an est but it was around that that part was the os so the other 20 gig missing cant be the os that im using atm

basicaly what i wana do is delete the partition then re install the os so that way i can use the full 320 or atleast 310 with the os on there

something else to keep in mind, you could have some bad sectores and such which i turn could drop the capacity of your harddrive, this is seen a lot on supposedly refurbished harddrives

where did you buy your harddrives, a lot of online retailers are known for selling things new even if its refurbished

can you go to start menu and type cmd in search, then type chkdsk, this should give you a quick run down of your hd and i think it will tell you how many bad sectors you have

You can not use the entire harddrive. I just got a new drive and on it's label it even says that you won't be able to use the entire drive.

and part of this reason is because what i stated above, majority of companies do not give an actual 1024mb per gig for harddrives

ok i did that and it says this access denied you do not have sufficent privileges you have to invoke this utility running in elavated mode. i could go to 7 right now if i wanted to or any version of vista but i chose vista basic becouse this laptop is a dual 1.8 with 2g mem so im trying to keep things basic so itll run faster plus i play halo online here so i need things to run as fast as possible