Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

My first system, have some questions.


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi everyone, I have a 2001 Impala LS. For Christmas I got a Kenwood BT945U Headunit, and my dad surprised me and got an amp, sub and box from a the car detailer from his shop. I think it's a pre-fab box..not 100% sure though, if I get a chance I will ask the detail guy.

The amp is an Eclipse 3322, looks pretty old, but it works..and I didn't pay a dime for it, and it's a first system, so I'm not going to complain.

I'm pretty sure the subwoofer is an Eclipse SW6123.4; judging by pics online, I didn't take it out of the box yet to double check but I will do that tomorrow before I go out to town.

The box is rather small too, I'm thinking it could get a lot louder if I build a proper box for it. I'm thinking about 2.5 cubes before displacement tuned @35hz?

Would you guys like the outer dimensions of the box?

This website says the wattages it does a different ohm loads and bridged; but i'm not sure what all that means.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/sale-miscellaneous-automotive/147887-sale-2-eclipse-amplifiers.html

but then this other website says this

http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=321460

160watts @ 2ohms 2-channel

80watts @ 4ohms 2-channel

320watts @ 4ohm bridged 1-channel

0.1% THD @ 2 stereo, 2/02 GHz @ 13.8 Vol

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?(bridged) I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

As far as I know, the sub can handle up to 400 watts as I've seen from researching.

Please give me any input, looking to seriously learn, and expand from this. it is a great start and I love my dad for doing this for me. He was so excited for me when I unwrapped it christmas morning.... :yahoo:

First System

2002 Impala LS 3.8L V6, 128,365k miles.

Alternator: DC Power 190Amp H/O Alternator

Headunit: Kenwood KDC-BT945U.

Speakers: MBQuart 6.5" Comps, 6x9 3-way.

Amplifer: Eclipse 3322 on front 6.5 components, and a Infinity Kappa One @ 2ohm- 800w

Subwoofers: 2 REAudio SRX12D2 wired to 2 ohm.

Box: 3.1cuft box tuned to 33hz. sealed off to cabin

Big 3- done with all Knukonceptz KCA 0 gauge.

Don't drop below 14.1v at full tilt. :)

Posted

Bridged is when you combined the 2 channels to make 1 channel.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

Posted

Hi everyone, I have a 2001 Impala LS. For Christmas I got a Kenwood BT945U Headunit, and my dad surprised me and got an amp, sub and box from a the car detailer from his shop. I think it's a pre-fab box..not 100% sure though, if I get a chance I will ask the detail guy.

The amp is an Eclipse 3322, looks pretty old, but it works..and I didn't pay a dime for it, and it's a first system, so I'm not going to complain.

I'm pretty sure the subwoofer is an Eclipse SW6123.4; judging by pics online, I didn't take it out of the box yet to double check but I will do that tomorrow before I go out to town.

The box is rather small too, I'm thinking it could get a lot louder if I build a proper box for it. I'm thinking about 2.5 cubes before displacement tuned @35hz?

Would you guys like the outer dimensions of the box?

This website says the wattages it does a different ohm loads and bridged; but i'm not sure what all that means.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/sale-miscellaneous-automotive/147887-sale-2-eclipse-amplifiers.html

but then this other website says this

http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=321460

160watts @ 2ohms 2-channel

80watts @ 4ohms 2-channel

320watts @ 4ohm bridged 1-channel

0.1% THD @ 2 stereo, 2/02 GHz @ 13.8 Vol

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?(bridged) I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

As far as I know, the sub can handle up to 400 watts as I've seen from researching.

Please give me any input, looking to seriously learn, and expand from this. it is a great start and I love my dad for doing this for me. He was so excited for me when I unwrapped it christmas morning.... :yahoo:

Basic Car Audio & Electronics

Check out this^^ website. The whole ohms thing is rather difficult to thoroughly explain to someone who is a noob and doesn't know much. But this website helped me understand everything with simple breakdowns, and easy to understand instructions. Hope it helps out, and tells you what you need to know. Do your research on this site, and if you have something you still need help with then feel free to ask.

mivtCK.png

Posted

cool, i'll check that website out...i'm not a complete noob when it comes to wiring all this stuff.

I know about parallel, series, and series-parallel circuits, as I'm taking an Electronics 1 Class in my junior year, passing it with a 94.

and about the bridged wattages....

The amp has two outputs of + and - if I take the (+ -) from 1, and (+ -) from 2, and put them into the one (+ -) on the sub, it would work?

EDIT: That's wrong what I been thinking about how to bridge it. Thanks to Kranny for taking his time tonight to chat with me for awhile, I am a LOT more knowledgeable! I will bridge my 4ohm sub to the amp tomorrow, and he showed me how to set my gain with a 50hz note and how to do the volume and everything, along with how to set the LPF, and everything else. how nice!

I will maybe take a couple videos...wondering what people find to be loudest in a trunk car? I can fold my seats down, but with the seat down and the sub right at the seat opening, it doesn't seem to be as loud as when it's all the way in the back. any ideas?

First System

2002 Impala LS 3.8L V6, 128,365k miles.

Alternator: DC Power 190Amp H/O Alternator

Headunit: Kenwood KDC-BT945U.

Speakers: MBQuart 6.5" Comps, 6x9 3-way.

Amplifer: Eclipse 3322 on front 6.5 components, and a Infinity Kappa One @ 2ohm- 800w

Subwoofers: 2 REAudio SRX12D2 wired to 2 ohm.

Box: 3.1cuft box tuned to 33hz. sealed off to cabin

Big 3- done with all Knukonceptz KCA 0 gauge.

Don't drop below 14.1v at full tilt. :)

Posted

in order for a trunk car to be louder with the sub facing forward, it has to be completely sealed off from the trunk with expanding foam or other materials. sub up creates a lot of trunk rattle, for now i would just do sub facing back toward the trunk.

sigbanner.png

2001 chevy cavalier

Rebuild in progress

what happens when your CD player skips and you accidentally drop a 22 hz sine bomb at an unholy volume on 7-8 year old subs? Mechanical failure floppy sub knockage on at least 2.

well...as i see the level 6 is compared to a lamborghini.....but a corvette?

i was thinking more like a chevy volt. its cute and new and "hip", but i would just rather stick my dick in a blender.........

Posted

in order for a trunk car to be louder with the sub facing forward, it has to be completely sealed off from the trunk with expanding foam or other materials. sub up creates a lot of trunk rattle, for now i would just do sub facing back toward the trunk.

Okay, I am going to mess with locations of the sub after I re-wire and tidy up everything back there.

I'll let you guys know how I make out!

First System

2002 Impala LS 3.8L V6, 128,365k miles.

Alternator: DC Power 190Amp H/O Alternator

Headunit: Kenwood KDC-BT945U.

Speakers: MBQuart 6.5" Comps, 6x9 3-way.

Amplifer: Eclipse 3322 on front 6.5 components, and a Infinity Kappa One @ 2ohm- 800w

Subwoofers: 2 REAudio SRX12D2 wired to 2 ohm.

Box: 3.1cuft box tuned to 33hz. sealed off to cabin

Big 3- done with all Knukonceptz KCA 0 gauge.

Don't drop below 14.1v at full tilt. :)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 404 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...