Sonic Electronix

Upgrading battery? Cold cranking amps?

I've been looking to upgrade my battery, and add a second, but I don't really understand which batteries would be acceptable to use, obviously i could use the battery recommended for the car, which is 450-500 cold cranking amps or something like that.. now is that the required rating for my car? or just a minimum rating? could i install a battery with a higher cca without modifying the electrical system in my car? also, if i have the stock battery, is it safe to bus bar in a battery with a different rating for cold cranking amps? or should i replace the stock battery with a larger one, and add another of the same cca?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

CCA's mean nothing really in the Car Audio world, what you want is an AGM battery, there are plenty of companies that offer em, XS Power, Kinetik, Shuriken,Stinger, and more......

It would be best to start with upgrading your battery under your hood with the largest AGM battery you can, then see how your voltage is, then go from there......

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

I would replace the stock battery with a xs power battery. Contact nathan @ xs power.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

CCA's mean nothing really in the Car Audio world, what you want is an AGM battery, there are plenty of companies that offer em, XS Power, Kinetik, Shuriken,Stinger, and more......

It would be best to start with upgrading your battery under your hood with the largest AGM battery you can, then see how your voltage is, then go from there......

That's kind of what i was thinking, just didn't know. so it's safe to just replace the starter batter with a an agm battery? like, just put it in in place of the stock battery? sounds good.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

I would replace the stock battery with a xs power battery. Contact nathan @ xs power.

I don't have a high output alt, does that matter? just curious, and how do i pick a battery? just based off the wattage i neeed, or should i just get the biggest i can?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

Where do you live at, because CCA is for like 0 degrees. CA is for 32 degrees...so if you live in an area that doesn't get extremely cold you don't have to worry about the CCA

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

Where do you live at, because CCA is for like 0 degrees. CA is for 32 degrees...so if you live in an area that doesn't get extremely cold you don't have to worry about the CCA

I'm in new mexico, it's 10 here right now, but it's winter and night time... but i'll be moving to phoenix here in a month so i'm not worried about the actual cca rating as i am about making sure i get a battery that isn't going to mess something up.. like my electrical system, and wont put too much strain on my stock alt... I'm not even sure if those are things i have to worry about, that's why i'm asking lol

Edited by osamio

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

I'm in new mexico, it's 10 here right now, but it's winter and night time... but i'll be moving to phoenix here in a month so i'm not worried about the actual cca rating as i am about making sure i get a battery that isn't going to mess something up.. like my electrical system, and wont put too much strain on my stock alt... I'm not even sure if those are things i have to worry about, that's why i'm asking lol

A new battery wont mess with you alt at all, Just find the largest that will fit in your stock location, also where do you live in NM??

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

A new battery wont mess with you alt at all, Just find the largest that will fit in your stock location, also where do you live in NM??

The stock location is the spare tire well in the trunk, but it would be easy to bolt any size battery box in there bacause i don't have the spare tire in. and i live in Albuquerque.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

My family has a reservation there. And yes i would put the biggest one you can afford in there so you wont have to upgrade down the road.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz