Second Skin Audio

First Build

Aight so I'm only 15 but I'm already getting into this audio stuff lol. Picked up (2) comp 12's for pretty cheap and then i bought an Alpine Mrp-M500. Also some other stuff that i don't want to list.

I have a '04 dodge neon which my sisters basically wrecked but I'm stuck with it and I plan on building an enclosure that will fit snug in the trunk.

My question is basically about a port. I plan on having both subs in a single enclosure with a port in the middle of both woofers. Will that work? What else do I need to know? How should i build it? Tip/Tricks?

Please help a noob :)

EDIT: So the back seat in my neon is at an angle and I plan on building the box at an angle so it will get right up against the back seat. Basically I am fucking clueless with how to build this port. Any help/tips would be appreciated lol

It will look kind of like this Scosche-SEV102CC-10-Inch-Slot-Ported-Dual-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Grey-Black.jpg

Edited by whosAmp
i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

I'm 15 too :)

Yeah that can work successfully if the enclosure is designed and built correctly.

Ask some questions..

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

First go to the enclousures section and download the torres calc, sticky at the top. It'll help you tons. And unless you plan on doing 2 seperate boxes, center ports are always a pita for me haha. You're better off doing a side port, or better yet maybe precision ports.

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

First go to the enclousures section and download the torres calc, sticky at the top. It'll help you tons. And unless you plan on doing 2 seperate boxes, center ports are always a pita for me haha. You're better off doing a side port, or better yet maybe precision ports.

already downloaded it :)

See and that's the thing, i don't anything about how to build these ports or which is better for the type of enclosure I'm building.

Hey what program is that? I'm familiar with AutoCAD but only have it on school computers, but that program looks really simple to learn

EDIT: nevermind, it's sketchup lol. I'll download that when I get home and try to whip something up with realy dimensions from my trunk.

Edited by whosAmp

Welcome to the CarAudio world whosAmp.

I think I got started when I was 13 working on my sister's boyfriend's 92 Ford Ranger.

3 Original Solobaric 12's in a ported enclosure with the old school ZR1000.

But, that was then, this is now...

As far as this design you are looking at.

A center port is fairly easy to build, but you have to be careful with the depth of the enclosure.

If you want calculate out the depth of the port to be less than the depth of the enclosure it is actually really easy to design (And looks a little more custom too).

A slot port like Anubis posted is one of the most common, and actually one of the easiest of ports to design.

See and that's the thing, i don't anything about how to build these ports or which is better for the type of enclosure I'm building.
And, as for "what type of port"? That is actually personal preference. Every type of port will perform the same as long as they are designed properly. The port style has no effect on the audible output of the enclosure. What does have effect is Port Area & Port Volume.

How big of an enclosure are you looking at building? Basically, how much of the trunk do you want to save?

Chris - "The Apprentice" - Pandora's Box Customs

1994 Ford Explorer - "Midnight" - 4.0L SOHC

SoundStream PCX-1000D & Kicker S12L5

I'm 15 too :)

Yeah that can work successfully if the enclosure is designed and built correctly.

Ask some questions..

WHAT??

i thought you were older...like 20+..

c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old.

i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan

Build in Progress

I have a couple questions... How much space should I leave behind the port? Also, When I have my sub wired and put it in my box, do I just cut a little hole in the back of the box so that i can wire them to my amp? or what?

I have a couple questions... How much space should I leave behind the port? Also, When I have my sub wired and put it in my box, do I just cut a little hole in the back of the box so that i can wire them to my amp? or what?

most of us do nuts a bolts, some run the wire through the port, but you can drill 2 holes and run em through. Just silicone them when youre done so air doesn't leak.

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.