Sonic Electronix

SUBS: Up Firing vs. Rear Firing

didnt read anything other than the initial question

do you want rattle? if yes, subs up port back will prob be louder to the ear and mic, but rattle like a mother fucker

subs up port up could be close as loud on the ear, but diff on the mic, and have almost no rattle....

so if you are happy with your truck sounding like a trashcan with 2 cats fighting in it, from the outside go with subs up port back..

i hate rattle, sorry

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

didnt read anything other than the initial question

do you want rattle? if yes, subs up port back will prob be louder to the ear and mic, but rattle like a mother fucker

subs up port up could be close as loud on the ear, but diff on the mic, and have almost no rattle....

so if you are happy with your truck sounding like a trashcan with 2 cats fighting in it, from the outside go with subs up port back..

i hate rattle, sorry

Yeah man, i hate rattle also. Plus i'd hate to have the back hatch get all beat to shit!

Im not gonna be entering any competitions or anything, i just want to have the best sounding setup i can with the equipment i already have.

I only tell people 1/3 of what im REALLY doin', just so they can HATE ONLY on that third...

2007 Tahoe

factory system for now :)

Car Domain Page

Lay It Low Forum

Why the dual chambers? Why not go single chamber, single port?

if you blow 1 sub, you can still have beat while you are either waiting for warranty, or recones to get there.

if you have a single chamber box, you just essentially made the box double the size and 1 sub is trying to play through double its air space.. and it will eventually blow.

easier to be safer

Team DC Audio

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

if you blow 1 sub, you can still have beat while you are either waiting for warranty, or recones to get there.

if you have a single chamber box, you just essentially made the box double the size and 1 sub is trying to play through double its air space.. and it will eventually blow.

easier to be safer

Your first point is true, but I disagree w/ this-

"if you have a single chamber box, you just essentially made the box double the size and 1 sub is trying to play through double its air space.. and it will eventually blow."

IMO, if you use a mono block amp, it is more efficient to do single chamber, single port. And the sub playing through double the airspace? What about the other sub, does it not consume airspace as well? To me, if you are running 2+ subs under a single load, a single chamber is better. Again, just my opinion.

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

easier to be safer

"if you have a single chamber box, you just essentially made the box double the size and 1 sub is trying to play through double its air space.. and it will eventually blow."

IMO, if you use a mono block amp, it is more efficient to do single chamber, single port. And the sub playing through double the airspace? What about the other sub, does it not consume airspace as well? To me, if you are running 2+ subs under a single load, a single chamber is better. Again, just my opinion.

if you have 1 sub blow, and the other is playing, yes the other takes up some airspace, but not enough and basically your working sub will be free airing while playing since it has to compress all the extra air that the other sub would generally be able to handle..

your ohm load will change, so if you have 2 D4 ohm subs, wired to a 1 ohm load at the amp, 1 sub fries, it will be seeing around 2 ohms since thats what you have the other sub wired to..

its better to be safe than sorry... ive had it happen to me, and eventually blew the other sub because of it

and why is it more efficient to do a single chamber box?

Team DC Audio

easier to be safer

How about this PURPLEHAZE? Is this Considered single chamber?

CenterPort.jpg

I only tell people 1/3 of what im REALLY doin', just so they can HATE ONLY on that third...

2007 Tahoe

factory system for now :)

Car Domain Page

Lay It Low Forum

easier to be safer

How about this PURPLEHAZE? Is this Considered single chamber?

CenterPort.jpg

I would say its partially a single chamber, since you dont have anything to stop the air flow to go into the other side, if you put a triangle right in the middle of the port, along the back wall, it will be a full single chamber box..

Team DC Audio

if you have 1 sub blow, and the other is playing, yes the other takes up some airspace, but not enough and basically your working sub will be free airing while playing since it has to compress all the extra air that the other sub would generally be able to handle..

your ohm load will change, so if you have 2 D4 ohm subs, wired to a 1 ohm load at the amp, 1 sub fries, it will be seeing around 2 ohms since thats what you have the other sub wired to..

its better to be safe than sorry... ive had it happen to me, and eventually blew the other sub because of it

and why is it more efficient to do a single chamber box?

I think we are talking about two different things?

I'm talking only about both subs working as they should.

And the reason it would be more efficient is that both subs are acting as one when running from a monoblock, thus a single chamber allows both subs to work as one.

Not sure if I said that right.

Also, this is just my opinion, I'm not a pro. At least not till next week! (Start a new job!)

Anyone else care to chime in?

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Archived