Sonic Electronix

The amp showed nothing on the DMM when i shut the radio off, i disconnected the dmm, started to put the speaker wire in, subs slammed, touched the leads to the amp, no reading, touched speaker wires to amp, sparks and slammed, disconnected RCA, touched subs to amp, nothing. shut everything off. now i need help.

Ah. so with your radio off, your DMM shows nothing. But, the subs popped when you tried to hook them to the amp. Right?

was the amp powered up when this happened? You said your radio was off, so that means your amp was off since maybe you ran your remote wire from the amp?

Right after you popped your subs, you again checked the DMM and it still showed nothing, correct?

With the RCAs disconnected, your subs do NOT pop when you hook them to the amp, correct?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

The amp showed nothing on the DMM when i shut the radio off, i disconnected the dmm, started to put the speaker wire in, subs slammed, touched the leads to the amp, no reading, touched speaker wires to amp, sparks and slammed, disconnected RCA, touched subs to amp, nothing. shut everything off. now i need help.

Ah. so with your radio off, your DMM shows nothing. But, the subs popped when you tried to hook them to the amp. Right?

was the amp powered up when this happened? You said your radio was off, so that means your amp was off since maybe you ran your remote wire from the amp?

Right after you popped your subs, you again checked the DMM and it still showed nothing, correct?

With the RCAs disconnected, your subs do NOT pop when you hook them to the amp, correct?

The amp is ON even when the radio is OFF, i have a factory head unit, so i'm using a switched twelve volt wire from the fuse panel in the car, it's tied to the ignition switch, not the radio, so the amp is on when the radio is off. other than that, ur correct.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

The amp is ON even when the radio is OFF, i have a factory head unit, so i'm using a switched twelve volt wire from the fuse panel in the car, it's tied to the ignition switch, not the radio, so the amp is on when the radio is off. other than that, ur correct.

I should also add, after all of this, I metered the amp again, with music playing, and it's working fine output is normal, no huge tone coming through, no pop, played a tone, output seemed totally normal, the problem only occured when i connected the subs. and by going off the impedance... the subs are fine too.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

Now that I understand what's going on, I am not sure what's up. My guess is a ground issue somewhere somehow, but that is a bit too technical for me. If Boon chimes in, he might know why it does that. That is more than I understand about how amps work.

Sorry about that, I thought you had an entirely different problem.

Edit: have you hooked the subs up with the amp OFF, then turned the amp on? Do they still pop?

Edited by shkibbybop

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Now that I understand what's going on, I am not sure what's up. My guess is a ground issue somewhere somehow, but that is a bit too technical for me. If Boon chimes in, he might know why it does that. That is more than I understand about how amps work.

Sorry about that, I thought you had an entirely different problem.

Edit: have you hooked the subs up with the amp OFF, then turned the amp on? Do they still pop?

I'm honestly scared to try it. I guess if i do it for a split second to see if it pops or not the subs will be ok...

On a side note, but maybe an important one, earlier today i had my gains too high, and i overheated these subs, they smoked a bit, i shut it off immeadiately, tested them later, with music and stuff, before i put in the equalizer. they seemed fine, but is it possible that once they cooled off, maybe a short formed somewhere inside one of the subs? or ALL of the VCs? that seems unlikely AND it seems it would mess up the impedance... but i figured i'd mention that

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

I'm honestly scared to try it. I guess if i do it for a split second to see if it pops or not the subs will be ok...

On a side note, but maybe an important one, earlier today i had my gains too high, and i overheated these subs, they smoked a bit, i shut it off immeadiately, tested them later, with music and stuff, before i put in the equalizer. they seemed fine, but is it possible that once they cooled off, maybe a short formed somewhere inside one of the subs? or ALL of the VCs? that seems unlikely AND it seems it would mess up the impedance... but i figured i'd mention that

That's a hell of a side note :)

what reading did you get for your subs and what are ohm are they rated?

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

As hard as it may be to believe, it slipped my mind, but they read 1.4 something like that, and it's 2 DVC 4 ohm subs in parallel, so should be 1 ohm.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

What are the readings without them hooked to the amp on both subs

a little over one ohm, and it should be a 1 ohm load, 4, 4 ohm VC. and i know i forgot to mention it, but the subs were fine after the incident with the heat, like, 3-4 hours later, they were ok. this issue started with the equalizer. Unless somehow a short formed a while AFTER the subs cooled off?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!