Second Skin Audio

most efficient port.

does port design have ANYTHING to do with how the bass sounds? ex. i had a kicker 12'' l7's a while back with a round port that had somewhat of a cleaner sound, i have a friend with the same system with a port that runs along side the sub. the port is 12'' tall and about 2 1/2 inches wide and it sounds a little different. or does it not even matter?

Probably different tuning, box size, and port area. That is why they sound different

i took the tuning and the box size into account but not the port area...just wondering because i'm doing a sealed trunk build now and from what i've seen, people that do SPL shows and what not use aero ports and people that just seal it for the hell of it have a rectangular port. that goes for most people that go for TL numbers though if you look at the sundown audio vids on youtube the guys that test them use aero ports, thor has used an aeroport and a few others that go for number use them....but i guess i just answered the question i was going to ask lol

From what I've heard you don't get port noise with the aero ports

sigbanner.png

2001 chevy cavalier

Rebuild in progress

what happens when your CD player skips and you accidentally drop a 22 hz sine bomb at an unholy volume on 7-8 year old subs? Mechanical failure floppy sub knockage on at least 2.

well...as i see the level 6 is compared to a lamborghini.....but a corvette?

i was thinking more like a chevy volt. its cute and new and "hip", but i would just rather stick my dick in a blender.........

It's not that you don't get port noise. Aero ports are circular which greatly reduces turbulence vs a traditional slot port. It requires less port area (rule of thumb is usually 14-16 per for slot ports, 9-12 for aero ports), takes up less space in your box, and when used correctly can yield in higher db levels. Most people use slot ports since they're free (you already have wood to build the box, it's just 1-2 more pieces) versus paying additional money for aeroports. If money is not a factor, go with the aeroports. If you're on a budget, use a slot port just make sure to use the appropriate area.

It's probably just different box size and tuning you had noticed.

However there is a difference with the port's efficiency. A non-flared slot port needs more area to allow air to flow properly, whereas round ports need slightly less, and aero ports are flared so port noise is virtually non-existent, and they require the smallest amount of area to work properly.

Aero ports do have a disadvantage though, because of the flares on the ends, mounting them takes up more of the box's surface area than the port tube actually has, limiting the amount of ports you can put in. Plus the price of large aero ports is high and it's difficult to make your own flares.

Slot ports are the easiest to make and deal with, which is why they are so common, especially for people who want to tune lower, as most people do for daily driving. When tuning low you a need longer port, and due to box dimensions that often means the port will need to turn a corner and is much easier to turn one large slot port smoothly than it is to turn 3 round or aero ports.

Furthermore, most cars you see that are made to attack the meter and be daily drivers and use external aero ports use them because it is incredibly easy to change the tuning with aero ports in comparison to having to make a completely custom box to house an interchangeable slot port.

You can have a better side of both worlds with a flared slot port, often referred to as a "kerf" port. The port itself will need less area than a non flared slot port, but has the same problem as the aero ports: the flared ends take up more surface area than there is port area, making it more difficult to make it fit on the outside of your box when you are dealing with limited space. I am unsure of the desired port area and how to calculate length on these types of ports though, as I have never personally dealt with them, I know fritosaregood has a bit of experience with them though.

Well... I do believe I rambled on a little, haha, sorry. :pardon:

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want