Second Skin Audio

Plywood Enclosures

True, but if you don't have any money to buy wood from Lowes yet have an endless supply of plywood to make and brace a decent box isn't that worth it? We're not really talking about a 150db monster build here. I'm sure if guy has some cash he'll go and buy some MDF if he could. But to me it sounds like he's trying to save some money and already has enough plywood to temporarily get the job done. Also building different enclosures out of free plywood till you figure out the one that sounds best to you is better than dropping $32 per 49x90 sheet of MDF any day of the week. Can always go back and rebuild the box with better wood once he figures it out.

Exactly. I've never built a box before, and no I definitely won't be hitting 150 db with 2 12s tuned to 29 hz, I just thought I'd save some money and try out building a box or two out of this plywood. If they don't sound great no big deal. I was just wondering if I would be wasting my time.

Team Flex Issues

'96 Mazda B4000

HeadUnit:Pioneer DEH-4200UB

Mids:4 Pioneer 6x8s

Tweets:4 Pioneer Tweeters, 2 Polk Audio Tweeters

Subs:3 15" American Bass HD 15s; Wall in progress.

Amplifier:Hifonics BXi 1608(temporary)

Stock Alt

Stock Battery

1/0 Power, Ground, Big 3.

True, but if you don't have any money to buy wood from Lowes yet have an endless supply of plywood to make and brace a decent box isn't that worth it? We're not really talking about a 150db monster build here. I'm sure if guy has some cash he'll go and buy some MDF if he could. But to me it sounds like he's trying to save some money and already has enough plywood to temporarily get the job done. Also building different enclosures out of free plywood till you figure out the one that sounds best to you is better than dropping $32 per 49x90 sheet of MDF any day of the week. Can always go back and rebuild the box with better wood once he figures it out.

Didn't you suggest he carpets it to make sure it's sealed?

It can be done. Building it out of plywood is definitely possible. I'm not saying he has to go buy MDF and make an uber box then buy Rockford amps and 18" subs and a massive electrical system and everything else. I've just never been one for the "it's temporary so quality doesn't matter" thing. If his current issue is a crappy box then building a different box out of equally crappy wood *probably* isn't the answer. Why not just design a box/have a box designed that will sound good in your setup and then get good stuff and build it and be done with it. One and done. If he's not looking for a 150dB monster then he shouldn't have any need to build multiple boxes and test designs and the like.

tl;dr build it out of plywood, save up, then build it right. If you have a spare $50 somewhere, just do it right the first time.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Exactly. I've never built a box before, and no I definitely won't be hitting 150 db with 2 12s tuned to 29 hz, I just thought I'd save some money and try out building a box or two out of this plywood. If they don't sound great no big deal. I was just wondering if I would be wasting my time.

The one thing you won't be wasting is money. It weird how we do one thing in car audio but home audio guys do something different. I swear I see a lot of home subwoofer builds done using plywood.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

DC Sound Lab Level 4 18's with Level 5 coils

Autotek Mean Machine 400.1D (replaced)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....