Sonic Electronix

Let's see if you can figure this out, because I sure can't.

Sorry about how long it is, I wanted to make sure I was thorough.

Here's some background:

-I drive a 2006 Nissan Sentra.

-I have a Fi BL 12 powered by a SAE 1200d in the trunk. Sounds awesome...

----My car has the "premium" sound system installed from stock. This means that a small Rockford Fosgate amp in the trunk is powering the front speakers. It also means that the signal for everything but the sub is being double-amped. You would never know though, the highs are clear as they were before. (More on this later)

On to the real problem..

I bought a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794 to replace my stock head unit about 6 months ago. It looks and works just fine (When it does work).

But about 3 months after I bought it, I kept blowing a small 10 amp fuse (Fuse #1, it says "ACC, Mirror" next to it) in the fuse box under the steering column, EVEN at LOW volume, and sometimes with no bass hitting.

I called Crutchfield tech support (Awesome people, btw) and he first told me that I had not grounded the headunit right, because the stock harness in the car is not grounded, as this is what I used for a ground, and the headunit was trying to use the antenna for a ground as back up, and this is what was blowing the fuse. (Can you say run-on?)

So I regrounded to a bolt behind the head unit, and then powered up the head unit with the antenna UNPLUGGED, so this must mean the ground is fine.

Well, the fuse kept blowing. I called Crutchfield back, and talked to the same guy. He was baffled as well and told me to send the HU back, as it could be defective. And so I did. And they sent me another free of any charge.

I installed the 'new' one, and couldn't have been happier. The fuse was not blowing, even at full tilt. This lasted a while.

BUT, oddly enough, about 3 months after I installed that one (today), the same fuse blew again, at low volume.

Here is what I think it MAY be:

- Something to do with the signal being double-amped. Although I just have the small stock speakers up front.

-Two of the times it blew, I was playing the same song (Mi Casa, Tu Casa) but one time the volume was only at about 10/35. This song may have been playing some of the other times, I don't remember) COULD be a coincidence.

-Something wrong with how I wired the harness, although I repeated how I wired it to the Crutchfield guy, and he said I did it right.

-The guy from Crutchfield said that fuse (#1 under the steering column) should normally pull less that 1 amp, so something must be going drastically wrong for it to spike to over 10 amps at random.

If anyone can help me out at all, I will be very much appreciative. This is blowing my mind and I am running out of options.

i would say trash that "premium" audio and replace it all i hate the factory radios are now with all the fancy nonsense

This is my plan. But, will be in the future since it will cost some $$ because I want it done right. No cheap junk.

And having to rewire all the speakers to the HU frightens me to be honest.

Yikes, just electrical tape holding the wires together? Might want to solder them or crimp them...

Oh no no no. They are definitely soldered. With electrical tape covering the exposed wire.

Oh ok. double check and make sure there is no wire touching anything tho, a little slit in the wire could cause issues.

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

Yikes, just electrical tape holding the wires together? Might want to solder them or crimp them...

Oh no no no. They are definitely soldered. With electrical tape covering the exposed wire.

Oh ok. double check and make sure there is no wire touching anything tho, a little slit in the wire could cause issues.

Alright. Will do. Thanks for the help!