Sonic Electronix

Subwoofer Out Of Phase?

Hi guys, the build is done, i'll make a thread with pictures and all that shit mayb today. We have another problem, the subs are hitting, but either not at the frequency their opposed to be, or what. When we put it at like 38 hertz it got loud we turned the volume up to 12 and the right sub went out of control and sounded like it was gonna BLOW, but its like a distorted FART noise. The subs hit on his ZAPCo amp, when we connect my amp to it I have to have the volume up to 33 just to hear it and thats max volume. Does anyone know any suggestions like trouble shooting what we can do to check the problem? or figure out what the problem is?

Fear The Quack!

duckoc3.jpg

Shot at 2007-08-19

Sounds like ya'll have something out of whack. Post up some pics and box specs so we can help you figure out why. Are you sure they wired correctly? Sounds like one or more coils could be wired out of phase.

I don't have the pictures on my computer, im talking to a buddie as I speak, + waiting for him to call back. My buddie said to unwire both subs, and check the ohm level for each and make sure they are both 2 ohm. He also said, a coil could be blown. but the out of phase part is true, because that's what it's doing. we don't have any room for the 6x9's we took those out. He took 0 gauge wiring and bridged it to 4 gauge wiring, by intertwining them into one and putting them into the coils because we don't have enough wire.

I really don't know what to say my friend is saying the subs are blown but I know their not. but, while im waiting for him to call any suggestions I can throw at him when I get out der would be helpful.

I didn't get home until 2 in the morning. We were working on this build an entire day and than sum just to find out the subs arent hitting :(

Fear The Quack!

duckoc3.jpg

Shot at 2007-08-19

Sounds like ya'll have something out of whack. Post up some pics and box specs so we can help you figure out why. Are you sure they wired correctly? Sounds like one or more coils could be wired out of phase.

I can't remember the box specs i'm sorry. but it's MTX REAL FUCKIN LOUD. aka RFL.

Fear The Quack!

duckoc3.jpg

Shot at 2007-08-19

He took 0 gauge wiring and bridged it to 4 gauge wiring, by intertwining them into one and putting them into the coils because we don't have enough wire.

HUH?!? 1/0awg speaker wire?!? How did you connect that to an amp? I'm thinking ya'll might need to consult some professional help for this project.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

Didn't you build the box? What's the height, width, depth of the box? What size is the port? How much bracing was using? What amp are you using?

He did all the measurements and while I was at work he got the port. I'm using a P600 Amp. He has a 2,220 Zapco amp. He is a proffesional retired competitor he knows what he's doing. My other friend said that the 0 gauge and 4 gauge wiring is not gonna work and that was just an improvise because we didn't have enuff speaker wire. In my head, I think if we just get more speaker wire than it should fix the out of phase problem. but, when your looking at the measurements, off the top of my head I couldn't tell you.

I'm sorry i'm such a noob at audio :(

If I go their tonight, my friend suggested pulling the subs out, unwiring them, testing them individually with an ohm meter, and make sure they are both at 2 ohm.

Fear The Quack!

duckoc3.jpg

Shot at 2007-08-19

If you want help then you need to post all the info. Until then its just blind guesses.

I'm still not understanding using the 1/0awg to 4awg by twisting & splicing for speaker wire. I'd really like to see pics of this.

I'm using a P600 Amp. He has a 2,220 Zapco amp.

So which one are you using on the RFLs?

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

If you want help then you need to post all the info. Until then its just blind guesses.

I'm still not understanding using the 1/0awg to 4awg by twisting & splicing for speaker wire. I'd really like to see pics of this.

So which one are you using on the RFLs?

using the P600 amp. Ok, to describe what he did is this. You take 2 wires you have 4 gauge and 0 gauge. you strip the wire for each than you take the 2 and wrap them around eachother creating one thick wire. He did this, and plugged it into the coils. The RC's are connected to the amp the 0 guage & 4 gauge is in the coils wired at 2 ohm. Does this give you a better idea? If he ever calls me and I go over their, i'll be sure to take pictures of what I mean.

the P600 is a temporarily amp I'm going to be running a Crunch GP 3000 for final project.

Fear The Quack!

duckoc3.jpg

Shot at 2007-08-19

Archived