Sonic Electronix

Amp blew, and I don't know why.... HELP. I don't want this to happen to the new one...

loudest daily car is 4 re 15's and soundstream 15 000d doing 153 music and 158 burp subs he payed 3k on special deal from a shop dealer cost and amp soundstream gave him

loudest spl car a 170 in a volvo wagon

*well suposidly loudest car on music and i sat in it..was hooked for 30min cant wait to do a 150 myself..*

Edited by woodzyspl

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

loudest daily car is 4 re 15's and soundstream 15 000d doing 153 music and 158 burp subs he payed 3k on special deal from a shop dealer cost and amp soundstream gave him

loudest spl car a 170 in a volvo wagon

*well suposidly loudest car on music and i sat in it..was hooked for 30min cant wait to do a 150 myself..*

Well good luck to you man. I hope you can figure out the funding and stuff to make it happen.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

where did you acquire this "tone" that you were playing? i am not sure if you are aware, but most songs dont get past -4Db for the sub-notes that they play. if i play a 50 hz 0Db tone anywhere above 3/4 of my volume, my voltage quickly diminishes to about 12 volts flat, probably because at that point the amp is drawing massive amounts of current and killing my voltage. if it is the power supply that is blown, my guess is you playing a constant tone for 20 seconds without the proper electrical to back it up dropped the voltage QUICK. i have a 200a alt, 2 hc800's, and a deka 9a31 and if i clip over the 2k my amp is rated to do at 4ohm, yeah my voltage goes from 14.5 to 12 or sometimes even lower, depending on how long i play the tone.

hope this post helped

wizv.jpg

200a alt. by Excessive Amperage

hc800 under hood & 2 Deka 9a31 in rear

1/0awg + big 3

SAZ 3000D

HDC3 18" @ 2 ohm

where did you acquire this "tone" that you were playing? i am not sure if you are aware, but most songs dont get past -4Db for the sub-notes that they play. if i play a 50 hz 0Db tone anywhere above 3/4 of my volume, my voltage quickly diminishes to about 12 volts flat, probably because at that point the amp is drawing massive amounts of current and killing my voltage. if it is the power supply that is blown, my guess is you playing a constant tone for 20 seconds without the proper electrical to back it up dropped the voltage QUICK. i have a 200a alt, 2 hc800's, and a deka 9a31 and if i clip over the 2k my amp is rated to do at 4ohm, yeah my voltage goes from 14.5 to 12 or sometimes even lower, depending on how long i play the tone.

hope this post helped

The tone was 50hz 0db, But i do have the electrical to back it up... Even if the voltage dropped, the amp has low voltage protect. There's no reason it should have blown the power supply...

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

You said you have stock batt and alt, not only that but you played a tone for 20 seconds with the volume @ 3/4 and gain @ 4/5 (give or take as you said). Low voltage and a heavily clipped signal will drive any electronic component into death. You'll just have to wait on SS for the verdict!

It is recommended when using a DMM to use a test tone that is 50hz @ -3Db or -4.5Db, turning the gain to achieve the desires VAC from the outputs. Running a 0Db tone for 20 seconds with the gain and volume where it was at I can guarantee was clipping your amp, heating it up and using a whole ton of current! Especially if you think you saw 50 VAC

wizv.jpg

200a alt. by Excessive Amperage

hc800 under hood & 2 Deka 9a31 in rear

1/0awg + big 3

SAZ 3000D

HDC3 18" @ 2 ohm

Cmon do you really believe it puts out 1700 "decent" watts RMS? for 180 bucks? ><

Absolutely. I've seen DTRs on the oscope. Soundstream's products are CEA compliant. They won't clear them if the "1700RMS" is clipped. I DO NOT HAVE LOW VOLTAGE. Where did u guys get that? i have a 140 amp alternator, 0 awg big 3, and the battery is not deep cycle but it isn't stock. It has a much higher CCA. The voltage didn't drop at all..

**edit, like i said before, the amp was NEVER hot to the touch. Now i know that is not any type of accurate indication, but with what you guys are saying, if it was hot enough to blow the power supply or short some solder joints etc... You'd think the heat sink would be hot too.

Edited by osamio

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come: