running really *&^% hot

It's possible it might be defective considering it should keep what you have a lot cooler than 50c and trying to go thermal on you, if it is under warranty try getting it replaced. But i would re-seat it with new thermal compound and see how it goes.

x2 thermal compound reapplication idea. too much or too little can have overheating side effects

its the same shit with trying to fix an xbox and can be a bitch to put just the right amount on. i always smother the cpu + gpu with thermal goop and then after 20 minutes i get a rrod.

Only need a tiny bit. Thermal paste is on average an insulator anyways, the more metal to metal (most chips have metal integrated heat spreaders these days) contact you have the better. Usually bad temps are due to the IHS or heatsink being concave/convex, or seated very poorly.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Important point: Please visit HardOCP (google) after reading the following. That's where I learned about the issues with my 920. I had the same exact issues as you did until I dwindled down what was causing them.

I'm a computer enthusiast and I've been into them for a long time. I worked full time @ geek squad for a while (2yrs) but right now I'm doing web development since it pays more :) :) . I've had a 920 since 2 years ago when it came out through a discount program for working in retail. The major problems when I started was the timings on the motherboard for the RAM *AND* PROCESSOR.

So I have an i7 920 in a similar setup with a Cogage TrueSpirit heatsink which was a pain in the fucking ass to install, but for a budget heatsink it worked fantastic for the price. I even had a review on Amazon :P I used NOCTUA NT-H1 compound which is fucking incredible. Used the pea method since it works best (heat spreads it on its own). Using too little or too much is detrimental. Do some research on YouTube - it's hard to be exact but being as close as possible WILL make a difference. It's a good idea to replace compound and reseat the heatsink after 2 years or so. See the end of my comment.

Either way you should be getting 40-44c idle (I use RealTemp for the temps) with a decent heatsink. With the stock heatsink it'll be much higher - I used to get 55c with everything else being optimal. Never let your CPU get higher than 75-80c at load for optimal longevity.

You need more exhaust than intake and you need to have fans strategically placed for this.

It's VERY VERY VERY important that your RAM timings are set properly - a lot of motherboards have problems with detecting the proper RAM timing, and if it's not set right, your RAM might be unintentionally overclocked, underclocked, or a combo of both, which affects the CPU *directly*, and can effect the longevity/stability of the processor. The RAM though will fail sooner if timings are not corrected ASAP. I used to get the most bizarre problems before I corrected this, and namely Blue Screens and random freezes.

Yesterday I started to get 55-60c IDLE, which has been rising over time, so instead I used some compressed air and now I get 40-44c IDLE (how my build started when I first installed the heatsink).

Honestly I think you should:

1) Clean your machine with compressed air ASAP. Don't turn the can upside down. Better yet, use an air compressor - if you do, keep the nozzle a good distance away because high pressure can affect the fans (or so I've heard).

2) Correct your RAM timings in the BIOS. You may have to correct the uncore clock as well...

3) Make sure you have a good sized case (I use an Antec 300... Antec 900 works amazing too)

4) Make sure you have proper airflow and the wiring is tied with zipties for proper airflow. Antec 300 and 900 are great for this because they have places to hide the wiring. It's better to have more fans removing the hot air rather than introducing more air. Fresh air should naturally be drawn into the case depending on the design.

3) Look up all of the reviews of your heatsink and see what your temps SHOULD be.

4) Get some high quality thermal compound and research application methods online. Always use the pea method, and AVOID MOVING THE HEATSINK AT ALL after you set it onto the processor - doing so causes bubbles and poor spread. The pea method is just fine because the compound spreads on its own from heat. Use rubbing alcohol or ArctiClean (that's what I used) to make sure there's no debris whatsoever that will affect the heat dispersion. Q-tips are good for this. Ensure it is securely pinned onto the motherboard.

the rampage III extreme even came with an optional (loud as fuk) fan and larger heatsink

I was going to tell you to use that. The rampage III has had a lot of problems it seems with boards DOA and having problems merely a few months later. I built a rig with one a month or so ago got a DOA board. Your CPU cooler is not sitting properly it seems. On that rig I built I used an ALC unit like the H50 and OC'd at 3.6GHz it idles at 33C depending on ambient temps. If you don't have any thermal paste left then you used way too much to begin with. Also you could try that second north bridge heat sink and fan and pull the fan off it if you so desire. When was the last time you dusted out the system, because dust can rape your rig hard.

edit: Dangerick I don't like the idea of having more exhaust fans than intake, the air pressure lets dust settle in the case rather than having more intake with filters on them. Certain cases prefer negative case pressure and some positive but I just don't like the dust

edit: Dangerick I don't like the idea of having more exhaust fans than intake, the air pressure lets dust settle in the case rather than having more intake with filters on them. Certain cases prefer negative case pressure and some positive but I just don't like the dust

I only have 2 exhaust fans other than the intake of the Corsair PSU I have, and even then I still have very stable temps. And I'm in the warmest room in the house... But the exhaust is on the top and it pulls air through the front of the case which has a filter which hasn't failed me. I bet it's the filter that saves it from dust. There's room for 2 intake fans right next to the filter - not sure if I should add any 120mm fans yet until I overclock one day (I'm fine with how my performance is ATM, for now :) :) :) )

The thread author has 10 fans - there must be something wrong there.

I definitely see your point there though. I bet everything will be fixed with some dust removal (like you said), cable management, and fan adjustment.

the rampage III extreme even came with an optional (loud as fuk) fan and larger heatsink

I was going to tell you to use that. The rampage III has had a lot of problems it seems with boards DOA and having problems merely a few months later. I built a rig with one a month or so ago got a DOA board. Your CPU cooler is not sitting properly it seems. On that rig I built I used an ALC unit like the H50 and OC'd at 3.6GHz it idles at 33C depending on ambient temps. If you don't have any thermal paste left then you used way too much to begin with. Also you could try that second north bridge heat sink and fan and pull the fan off it if you so desire. When was the last time you dusted out the system, because dust can rape your rig hard.

i probably did use too much paste but not near the whole thing after i was done with it i threw the rest away thats why i dont have any more as for fans all of my intake fans are filtered i have 3 intake and 4 exhaust (5 if you count both on the rad) i will run to walmart either tomorrow or something and get some canned air and try and find some compound and reseat the cooler

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

i probably did use too much paste but not near the whole thing after i was done with it i threw the rest away thats why i dont have any more as for fans all of my intake fans are filtered i have 3 intake and 4 exhaust (5 if you count both on the rad) i will run to walmart either tomorrow or something and get some canned air and try and find some compound and reseat the cooler

Yeah man probably too much paste. Either way please check the timings to be safe. But yeah if you get any compound, definitely check out Noctua NT-H1 and/or ArctiClean. I shit you not that is some high grade stuff!

You only need a little drop in the middle and the pressure from the heat sink when applied should spread it enough. The heat sinks are convexed very slightly which is why some people lap them. or you can use a credit card to spread it evenly but its w/e you want to do, I always make a mess when I spread it lol.

48 hours EMCYTZT281 gets you 20% off case fans from newegg

You only need a little drop in the middle and the pressure from the heat sink when applied should spread it enough. The heat sinks are convexed very slightly which is why some people lap them. or you can use a credit card to spread it evenly but its w/e you want to do, I always make a mess when I spread it lol.

48 hours EMCYTZT281 gets you 20% off case fans from newegg

i couldnt get any more case fans if i wanted to there isnt room and thats saying something given how big my case is

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

Archived