Sonic Electronix

Why does bass travel further outside some cars?

06 Envoy

250a ALT

2x 2400 kinetiks

USX65KV1 w/ parallel bridged mosfets 2200rms @ 1ohm @13v powering 1 Orion hcca122

Taramp HD2500 for mid range

4xPioneer 6x9's 2x 1" Pioneer tweets

Yeah hatchbacks and tiny cars are extremely loud inside, my friend did a 152 or I believe a 151 at 29 hertz on 3,000 watts rms with a single skar 12 in a trunk wall , giant aeroport tuned low, Scion FR-S. Outside you could barely hear anything even with both windows down

151 at 29 Hz on a 12" (Skar) sub, on 3k ? I can' believe it ! In a trunk ?

That is incredible ! :shok:

Did you want to write 131, or maybe 141 ?

Yeah sorry I got the information mixed up, 152 with 2 subs, 5k amp, giant aero, and burp score.

He did a 47 with the single sub, same box, same amp

The car was a 1976 Ford Granada. I still have it but the system is out of it because the quarters rusted through and the box started getting wet so I took it out. The first box was 4 cubes each. Took up the whole trunk and the subs were right at the trunk lid. That was ok but made a lot of rattles that I couldn't get rid of. So I built a new box 3 cubes each pointed forward at an angle like more than 45 degrees kind of down and forward. I made a tunnel for it to mate up to that went up behind the back seat. I cut the brackets off of the seat back so I could pull the bottom of it and lay it flat. You could see the subs through the tunnel if you tried. Kicker 6x9s and two kicker 8s in the rear deck. Polk separates in the front door. A punch 200 on the c15s. Rated 400wrms bridged at 4 ohms. A punch 100 on everything else. ploks and 6x9s parallel. 8s bridged tri mode. The punch 100 wasn't rated for all that but it never got hotter than the 200. It sounded good and balanced but a little bass heavy. I put a radio shack EQ in the trunk because it had a 35hz band that of course I pushed all the way up. Driving down the back roads one day I saw some guys standing at the end of their driveway. Years later I happened to meet one of them. He said that they heard the booming coming down the road and they were going to stop my car. Until I got close enough that they heard that I was booming to led zeplin. lol I had it set so anything would boom. The Eagles, Lynrd Skynrd, Bad Company, Easy e, Super Cat, Megatron Crushing Crew etc. lol

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Higher sub frequencies will sound as if they are louder than they really are and carry farther, as the frequency lowers, so does the sound outside the car, but that does not mean it doesn't travel as far, it just means your not able to hear it. Larger subs will do the same thing allowing them to project the loudness farther out than smaller subs will, and in conjunction with a tuning of 40hz to 60hz they can be heard from really long distances, as i said before but eluded to the details, when you have a slightly larger than optimal box with higher tuning and larger subs and power you can get much louder outside of a vehicle regardless of brand.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I think the car at the gas station with the Xplods possibly sounded louder because many gas stations have roofs over the pumps and the bass may have been reflecting back down at you from the roof. The loudest vehicle I've ever heard oudside was a minitruck back in the late `80's in the downtown area of Westwood, CA... Nothing but giant glass high rises all around. We could hear it from blocks away. No idea what he had inside but I'm sure if we had been in an open field it wouldn't have been nearly as impressive.

The car was a 1976 Ford Granada. I still have it but the system is out of it because the quarters rusted through and the box started getting wet so I took it out. The first box was 4 cubes each. Took up the whole trunk and the subs were right at the trunk lid. That was ok but made a lot of rattles that I couldn't get rid of. So I built a new box 3 cubes each pointed forward at an angle like more than 45 degrees kind of down and forward. I made a tunnel for it to mate up to that went up behind the back seat. I cut the brackets off of the seat back so I could pull the bottom of it and lay it flat. You could see the subs through the tunnel if you tried. Kicker 6x9s and two kicker 8s in the rear deck. Polk separates in the front door. A punch 200 on the c15s. Rated 400wrms bridged at 4 ohms. A punch 100 on everything else. ploks and 6x9s parallel. 8s bridged tri mode. The punch 100 wasn't rated for all that but it never got hotter than the 200. It sounded good and balanced but a little bass heavy. I put a radio shack EQ in the trunk because it had a 35hz band that of course I pushed all the way up. Driving down the back roads one day I saw some guys standing at the end of their driveway. Years later I happened to meet one of them. He said that they heard the booming coming down the road and they were going to stop my car. Until I got close enough that they heard that I was booming to led zeplin. lol I had it set so anything would boom. The Eagles, Lynrd Skynrd, Bad Company, Easy e, Super Cat, Megatron Crushing Crew etc. lol

i had a 79 and did an IB behind the rear seat with 2 mtx road thunder 12's it was not loud. lol

That's awesome

I think the car at the gas station with the Xplods possibly sounded louder because many gas stations have roofs over the pumps and the bass may have been reflecting back down at you from the roof. The loudest vehicle I've ever heard oudside was a minitruck back in the late `80's in the downtown area of Westwood, CA... Nothing but giant glass high rises all around. We could hear it from blocks away. No idea what he had inside but I'm sure if we had been in an open field it wouldn't have been nearly as impressive.

Yeah you might be right, LOL my car is only loud under roofs or parking garages

Archived